The department offers B.S. degrees in Biology and Environmental Sciences.
Undergraduate majors in Biology are offered multiple special programs, including Honors, Pre-Professional (medicine, dentistry, veterinary sciences), Medical Technology, 4 + 1 combined B.S./M.S., Secondary Teaching Licensure.
Undergraduate majors in Environmental Sciences can also participate in Honors and the Secondary Teaching Licensure Program as well as focus on the following special tracks: Environmental Biology, Environmental Geology, Environmental Chemistry, Environmental Technology and Environmental Planning.
Visit the Undergraduate Degree Programs page for details.
All undergraduates are encouraged to engage in a research experience.
We also offer a vibrant Post-Baccalaureate Program.
Substantial external funding and state of the art equipment enable cutting edge research in two broad foci relating to:
- Molecular and cellular understanding of biological processes to identify therapeutic targets relevant to reproductive health, aging, heart disease, infectious disease and cancer.
- Ecological and environmental understanding of biological processes at the organism and ecosystem level in a world of changing climate, urbanization, human impacts and invasive species.
Visit the Graduate Degree Programs page for more details.
Graduate Assistantships covering tuition and a competitive stipend are available.
For a list of recent published manuscripts with graduate student authors, scientific meetings attended by graduate students and student employment status post graduation, visit Student Success.
Doctor of Philosophy Program jointly offered with the Cleveland Clinic
The Ph.D. program in Regulatory Biology is offered jointly by Cleveland State University (CSU) and the Lerner Research Institute (LRI) of the Cleveland Clinic.
This world renowned Ph.D. program was established in 1971 and has granted doctoral degrees to over 130 students. Currently, 19 faculty from CSU and 39 faculty from LRI are participating in the training of 51 doctoral students.
Visit the Faculty and Research page for a list of CSU, LRI and other adjunct faculty; plus links to their profiles and research interests.
- Cellular and Molecular Medicine Specialization information
- Gene Regulation in Health and Disease information
Master of Science Program
The department offers an M.S. degree in Biology and an M.S. degree in Environmental Science.
- Dr. Crystal Weyman: Chair
- Dr. Ralph Gibson: Associate Chair
- Dr. Julie Wolin: Associate Chair, EVS Program Dir. & Advisor (Undergrad EVS)
- Dr. Girish Shukla: Graduate Program Dir. & Advisor (Graduate)
- Dr. Aaron Severson: Biology Program Dir.
- Dr. Bibo Li: Undergraduate Honors Program Advisor
- Dr. Shamone Gore Panter: Advisor (Undergrad BIO & Med Tech)
- Dr. Denny Sampson: Advisor (Undergrad BIO & Med Tech)
- Ms. Carolee Pichler: Administrative Coordinator
- Ms. Lisa Pasquale: Department Secretary
- Ms. Michele Zinner: Laboratory Manager
- Ms. Susan Moreno-Molek: Laboratory Coordinator