Stay Active and Connected Socially While Distancing Physically
Even though the CSU Rec Center facilities are closed right now, you can still be active and healthy with us at home! We have lots of offerings and resources to keep your body moving and your mind operating in tip-top shape (with more on the way!). Explore below and check back each week as we continue to roll out more activities to add to your at-home arsenal!
• MENU •
Fall 2020 Virtual Programs & Events Calendar!
At-Home Workouts • Games & Puzzles • LIVE Virtual Fitness Classes
Challenges & Activities • ESport Leagues • From the CSU Rec Blog • Mindful Moments
Virtual Camp! • Shine Well • RecRewards at Home • Wellness Presenations
Virtual Personal Training • Isolation Nation Virtual 5K • Bonus Resources
We have a literal PLETHORA of brand new virtual programs and events coming your way over the next few months! With so many options, there really is something for everyone with more in the works. Stay active with us and experience so much of what you love about the CSU Rec Center remotely this Fall!
Monday, September 21st – October 18th
NEW! Play one (1) 9-hole round of golf during the timeframe below and submit your scorecard for a chance to win! All information and guidelines are located on IMLeagues.com. Register today!!
Location: Washington Park Golf Course
Questions? Contact Andrew Zoeckler
Esports Pop-Up Tournaments
Wednesday, September 30th @ 6pm: Super Smash Brothers
Thursday, October 22nd @ 6pm: FIFA
Friday, November 6th @ 6pm: League of Legends
For more info and to join, visit IMLeagues.com
Questions? Contact Andrew Zoeckler
Wind Down on Wednesdays: Meditation Series
September 30th–December 2nd @ 7:30pm
NEW! Join us every Wednesday for a new guided meditation series with some of our fantastic yoga and group fitness instructors who specialize in mindfulness and mediation. They will be educating you on a variety of health and meditation topics, as well as guiding you through a meditation practice. We hope you'll join us to practice some mindful moments!
To join, visit our IGTV channel each Wednesday at 7:30pm
Questions? Contact Mackenzie Lamar
Isolation Nation Virtual 5K: 2nd Run (or Walk)
A virtual 5K for anyone - run, walk, or jog! Complete a 5K (3.1 miles) wherever you like (outside or inside) any time between October 1st-8th. Use your personal fitness tracker, such as Samsung Health, Apple Watch Activity, Strava, Map My Run Trail, Runtastic, etc., and submit your results online by 11:59pm on Friday, October 9th to qualify for prizes! For more information, visit our website!
Viking Virtual Olympics!
October 4th–November 13th
NEW! Welcome to Viking Olympics! Compete with your friends and against other students and community members each week to win a $25 gift card to Amazon, Target, Walmart, and more! Running October 4th-November 13th, a new challenge will be released every Sunday on our Instagram account, and you will have until the following Friday at 5pm to upload your post to Instagram showing you completing the challenge! Be sure to tag @clestaterec and mention the week you are submitting for in the caption to be eligible to win!
Questions? Contact Michael Nozak
How-To Workshop Series
Friday, October 21st || Wednesday, November 18th || Wednesday, December 16th
NEW! Save the dates! Whether you are looking to learn something new, or practice skills you already know, join us for this fun (and free!) How-To Workshop Series! Each month we will feature a new topic/activity, like painting and cooking, and come together via Zoom to participate together. Workshops will occur on the third Wednesday of every month. Hope to see you there! Stay tuned for more details.
• October 21st, 6pm - Halloween Painting
• November 18th, 6pm - Friendsgiving
• December 16th, 6pm - Holiday Baking Bonanza
Questions? Contact Kristen Soinski
Cleveland Bucket List!
October 28th–November 16th
NEW! Get out and enjoy some of the things Cleveland has to offer before the winter weather kicks in (socially distanced, of course!). We want you to experience all things Cleveland, so we're supplying you with our hand-picked Cleveland Bucket List locations for you to enjoy before the snow begins to fall! The more places you visit, the better chance you have to win a prize! Stay tuned for more details coming soon!
We’ve launchied a series of at-home workouts you can do right from your living room! We walk your through each exercise in the workout, providing form cues and modifications, making it easy for anyone to follow along, no matter the fitness levels. Videos are posted daily on our Facebook and Instagram pages (links below). Full workout and exercise descriptions can be found on our CSU Rec mobile app (Apple | Android)
- Time Crunch Crusher (cardio total body workout)
- 200 in 20 Workout #1 (cardio/total body workout)
- Intermediate Ignition (cardio/total body workout)
- Leg Day 16 (lower body workout)
- The 100s Workout (total body/benchmarking workout)
- Ninja (core workout)
- Burnout Basics (upper body workout)
- Quick Burn (total body workout)
- Superman 15 (upper body workout)
- Slow Burn (lower body workout)
- Fast and Furious (cardio/total body workout)
- Beginner Core (core workout)
- Overdrive Core + Cardio (core/cardio workout)
- Beginner Blast (total body workout)
- The Linchpin (core workout)
- Core Workout w/ Pillow (core workout)
- Leg Circuit w/ Chair (lower body workout)
- Treating Yourself. After long or intense periods of high stress or hard work (like studying for finals or prepping for a big meeting), it’s important to give your brain a break. Get some fun ideas for ways to relax, unwind and treat yourself from our very own, Kristen Soinski!
- Study Breaks. Final exams are next week and we know you all are buckling down to study which is fantastic but it’s also important to take breaks during your study sessions. Tune in as Melissa discusses several different ideas for effective study breaks. Find the one (or two or three!) that’s right for you!
- What Are Carotenoids? Dives into the topic of carotenoids in the diet and why they are a critical part of your nutrition. Learn how these powerful antioxidants can improve mental health, lower risk of disease, and where you can find them!
- Sleep Hygiene 101. Having trouble sleeping? Do you toss and turn all night? Kristen Soinski, Graduate Supervisor of Fitness & Wellness at the CSU Rec, discusses a little bit about how sleep (or lack of) can affect your daily life, and shares some tips you can use to improve your quality of sleep.
- Guided Meditation. Take 10-15 minutes out of your day to focus on mindfulness and peace. Sinead will lead you through a guided meditation to center yourself and help relieve stress.
- Managing Stress During Change. Change can be difficult as we have to adjust to something new, especially when it's unexpected. However, change doesn't always have to come with stress! Join Kristen Soinski, Graduate Supervisor of Fitness & Wellness from the CSU Rec for a presentation about managing stress and pick-up some tips and tricks to build resiliency and lower stress during times of change.
- Exercise Snacks: Sneaking in Movement to Combat Excessive Sitting. On Monday, March 30th, Melissa Albers, Assistant Director of Fitness and Aquatics for the CSU Rec Center, hosted a LIVE presentation to discuss the concept of "exercise snacks" and the importance of incorporating movement or exercise snack breaks in our stay-at-home lives, sharing tips, tricks, and sample movements you can do from your home. (Missed the live presentation? No problem! You can view it on Facebook!).
We’ve taken group fitness into the virtual realm, offering a variety of live fitness classes! Take a look at our robust schedule and our university partnership schedules HERE!
Keep Your Mind Healthy, Too!
It's important to take care of your mental well-being as much as your physical health. Below you can browse a growing compilation of helpful articles, activities and information from the CSU Rec Blog and other resources to help you take care of your mental health and make mindfulness a regular part of your daily life. Exercise your mind as much as you exercise your body.
Body Rotation. Take a few minutes to relax, clear your mind, and relieve some stress and anxiety. This short meditation will guide you through scanning your body to identify points of tension you may not even notice, and help release that tension so you can feel more relaxed. Simply find a comfortable seated position and hit the play button!
Do Nothing for 30 Seconds. Psst...are you feeling anxious right this moment? Maybe a bit stressed? Or a little overwhelmed? Take just a moment right now to bring calm to your mind. Pause what you're doing and simply DO NOTHING. Don't think–just breathe.
Progressive Muscle Relaxation. Need a moment to relax? Try this 1-minute progressive muscle relaxation exercise to begin to recognize how you feel when tense vs. relaxed. Give it a try, then take a few moments to rest in a relaxed state before resuming your day.
Breath & Rain. Taking as little as 30 seconds–1 minute to simply breathe and clear your mind can help ease stress and anxiety. Use this short video to guide you through a few moments of mindfulness relax your mind a bit. Quiet your thoughts, close your eyes, and focus on a few deep breaths.
Cook a New Healthy Recipe. One of the main factors affecting your health is the food you put in your body. But healthy eating doesn't have to be boring! Take some time this week to find a new healthy recipe and give it a try - you may just find a new food favorite!
Spend Some Time Outside Each Day. With the weather getting warmer, it's the perfect time to start focusing on getting outside! Take your laptop and work outside, take a nap in the fresh air, exercise outdoors, or simply bask in the sunshine. Even if it's just for a few minutes, spending time outside will improve your well-being!
1-Minute Push-Up Challenge! How many push-ups can you do in 1 minute?? Push-ups are an excellent full body exercise with lots of variations and modifications to control intensity. So...ready for the challenge?? Give it a try, then post your results and tag some friends to challenge them!
Read 10 Pages in a Book. Any day is a good day to do a little reading. Fiction, non-fiction, magazine or blog article, make it a goal to spend a little bit of time reading each day.
What Brings You Joy? What brings you joy and happiness? It doesn't have to be something big, just something that's meaningful to YOU! Today, focus on a couple of the joyful things you have and notice the postive and happy feelings they inspire in you.
Plank Challenge! How long can you hold a plank in good form? Elbows under shoulders, core engaged, flat back, hips parallel to the floor, and up on your toes – give it a try! Then post your time and tag a friend or 2 to challenge them (tag us, too: @clestaterec)!
Gratefulness Challenge: 3 Things What are 3 things you’re grateful for today? Taking 3 minutes each day to write down 3 things you’re thankful for can increase your happiness. By taking time to consciously express gratitude, we remember that the things we have in our lives, big or small, are what we should be grateful and happy for. This exercise involves us thinking of positive thoughts which can increase happiness. Are you ready to take the challenge? Start today and give it a try!
Remind Yourself to MOVE! Do you find yourself sitting more at your desk or on your couch as you settle into work-from-home or remote learning life? It’s time to get moving! Set reminders on your phone/device to get up and move-and-groove! Have fun with it and use songs for the alarm tones, quote song or movie lyrics, or use a variety motivational quotes. How you do it, remind yourself to move – your body and mind will thank you!
Unplug for 1 Hour Feeling overwhelmed by all the news, emails, and notifications hitting your phone or device? Technology is everywhere and research has shown that it can increase stress, anxiety, and restlessness, and negatively impact our sleep patterns. Try unplugging for an hour today (and every day) and enjoy the quiet to clear your mind and focus on the present.
Furry Friends Challenge Did you know that pets can increase opportunities to exercise, get outside, and socialize? Regular walking or playing with pets can even decrease blood pressure, cholesterol, and triglyceride levels. Our furry friends can also help manage loneliness and depression by giving us companionship. Studies have even shown that the bond between people and their pets can lower stress and bring happiness to their owners. Have a work-from-home co-worker or a remote learning furry friend? Tag @clestaterec in a social media post or story and let’s see those animals!
Take a Walk Tuesdays Whether you walk to get in your steps, use it to clear your mind, or just to get some fresh air and sunshine, GET OUTSIDE and move! During this crazy time – or anytime you're feeling stressed, overwhelmed or cooped-up – it's important to schedule time for physical activity. It doesn't have to be long either! A short walk around your neighborhood or a nearby park will do the trick. And feel free to snap a picture of the landscape, a flower or animal you see, or just yourself outside in the sun, and tag @clestaterec in your social post or story!
Extreme Close-Up Game
These items are ready for their close-up! But can you tell what they are?
4/7/20 Puzzle | Answer • 4/14/20 Puzzle | Answer
4/21/20 Puzzle | Answer • 4/28/20 Puzzle | Answer
5/6/20 Puzzle | Answer • 5/12/20 Puzzle | Answer
5/19/20 Puzzle | Answer
Find the Difference Puzzles
Can you find all 5 difference between the two images?
4/1/20 Puzzle | Answer • 4/8/20 Puzzle | Answer
4/15/20 Puzzle | Answer • 4/22/20 Puzzle | Answer
4/29/20 Puzzle | Answer • 5/7/20 Puzzle | Answer
5/15/20 Puzzle | Answer
Guess the Image Puzzles
Can figure out what the distorted image is?
3/30/20 Puzzle | Answer • 4/9/20 Puzzle | Answer
4/16/20 Puzzle | Answer • 4/23/20 Puzzle | Answer
4/30/20 Puzzle | Answer • 5/14/20 Puzzle | Answer
- "8 Tips to Help You Get a Better Night's Sleep" Your sleep habits can significantly impact your daily productivity, physical and mental health, and your overall quality of living. These 8 sleep hygiene tips are simple things you can put into practice right away and reap the sleep benefits! Read more...
- "5 Easy Ways to Make Going Outside a Priority" Don't let work or school work get in the way of getting outdoors! We have 5 simple suggestions that will not only increase your time outside but provide a nice break from your regular routine. Read more...
- "5 Tips to Help Boost Your Productivity While Working from Home" Working from can be quite a change for people who may not be used to it. We have composed 5 tips to help boost your productivity while working from home, and also build helpful at-home work habits. Read more...
- "7 Mindful Habits to Reduce Stress During Stressful Times Like These" With the current COVID-19 situation unfolding, it is understandable to have heightened stress and anxiety. To help, we want to provide tips to help reduce your anxiety during this stressful time (or any time). Read more...
- "Why Not Take Our Recommendation!?" Looking for new ideas for things to do while hanging out at home? Take some ideas from the CSU Rec staff! Read more...
- "I Am Grateful Challenge" Practicing gratitude has been shown to have a number of positive impacts on stress levels and health... Read more...
- "The Benefits of Self-Care Skin Care" A nourishing skin-care routine can be both refreshing and rejunenating! Read more...
- "Exercise and Stress" Utilizing exercise to minimize stress can help prevent mental burnout, and prevent many long-term physical effects... Read more...
- "Beating That Back-to-School Feeling" Packed with helpful times to manage your workload and fight procrastination, this article is useful anytime to get organized and combat stress. Read more...
- "5 Outdoor Activities to Fill Your Free Time This Weekend" One of the few ways we can still get out of the houses safely is to hit the outdoors! Here are 5 great ways to take a step back from the world, connect with nature and give you mind a breath of fresh air–literally! Read more...
- "The Emotional Benefits of Outdoor Activity" Studies have repeatedly shown that being outside can elevate your mood and boost self-esteem, and reduce depression and stress. Read more...
- "Is More Sleep Better Than More Exercise?" There isn't much debate that both sleep and exercise have wide-randing benefits. But is one more beneficial for your health? Read more...
Are video games one of the ways you're spending time at home? Connect with other gamers virtually and join our ESports Pop-Up Tournaments! These one day tournaments will take place on battlefy.com, and the games being featured include Super Smash Brothers, FIFA and League of Legends. For more details, please visit our Intramural Sports page. Please Note: each league page has instructions for game format and score reporting. Be sure to follow these instructions accordingly
All fall Esports tournaments are NOW OPEN! Register at IMLeagues.com.
Looking to continue your specialized one-on-on fitness training? We’re now offering virtual personal training to our current client base. These sessions are just like in-person sessions, with a trainer guiding, motivating, and holding you accountable through the entire workout. Virtual sessions are done over FaceTime, Skype, Zoom, or whatever platform works best for you and your trainer.
Interested in getting started with virtual personal training but not a current client? Reach out to Melissa Albers at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information and to reserve a spot!
Achieving optimal health for yourself is a continuous journey, and we're here to help light the way! Our wellness initiative, Shine Well, will help you explore the many facets of wellness and find ways to incorporate them into your life. Explore each web page to learn more about the dimensions of wellness, the benefits of each, and start crafting a more well-rounded wellness lifestyle.
You can also find some tools to help you set health and wellness goals, and a daily planning worksheet to create your own customized plan to integrate all aspects of wellness into your life. Plug in to your well-being and shine your brightest! Start exploring...
We want to continue rewarding our loyal patrons for staying active and healthy while being safe at home during these uncertain times. You can "check-in" daily to earn 10 points/day, PLUS earn 25 bonus points each for completing different healthy actions! Simply do the actions, follow the link to submit the self-reporting form of your completed actions, and you're all set! And be on the look-out for new actions to be added to continue being rewarded over the next few weeks! Learn more...
We have a lot of fantastic partners in the health and fitness industry. Many are doing their part to help ease the stress and challenges we're all currently managing, offering resources and paid services for FREE during the COVID-19 crisis. We're sharing some of these great offerings below to help you stay active and healthy!
- Enjoy additional virtual live fitness classes and virtual wellness offerings courtesy of our friends at these other universities! #WeAreAllInThisTogether.
- Free Workout from Les Mills On Demand! If you love and miss taking our Bodypump® classes, we've got your covered. In response to the coronavirus situation affecting the globe – specifically the closure of gyms and fitness clubs – Les Mills is offering FREE On Demand workouts! Follow this link for access to 120+ workouts from more 10 different Les Mills formats. The site will remain available for as the disruption from the coronavirus continues.
- Free Live Fitness Classes from Core Health & Fitness! With the support of the Core Master Instructor team, Core Health & Fitness is here to help you keep moving, keep training and stay healthy. Tune-in to Core's Facebook page daily for a killer workout from some of the best instructors in the world. And if you miss a daily workout, you can check them all out of here.
- Silver&Fit Live Exercise Classes! Beginning, March 30th, the team at Silver&Fit is debuting their Fit at Home series with live exercise classes on their Facebook page Monday–Friday from 1–1:30pm EST (10–10:30am PST).
- Monday: Low Impact Cardio—Increase your heart health with low impact moves that can be done in your living room. Getting moving can help increase your energy, focus, and overall happiness levels.
- Tuesday: Easy Going Yoga—Help balance your body, mind, and spirit by flowing through gentle poses and breathing deep. Yoga helps to increase your sense of well-being and peace.
- Wednesday: Body Weight Exercises—There are so many exercises you can do with just your body weight. These exercises will help your whole body increase endurance and strength.
- Thursday: Balance & Flexibility—Awesome combination! Balance exercises can help boost your strength, stability, and body awareness. Plus, they help reduce your risk of falling. Flexibility exercises can help improve posture and reduce stiffness.
- Friday: Friday Mixer—Friday is for having fun! Enjoy a mix of your favorite exercises from the week. Make sure you comment on what you like, so you can see your favorite exercise featured.
- Free Month Trail of Obé Fitness Classes from Athleta. Feeling stressed, stir-crazy, or just looking for a little inspiration? We hear you, so we've teamed up with obé to bring you a free month trial of live and on-demand fitness classes – from pilates to HIIT to guided meditation. Use code ATHLETA and meet us on the (virtual) mat.
Please consult your physician or healthcare professional before starting this or any fitness program. By performing these exercises, you are performing them at your own risk. If you should feel any pain or discomfort at any time during this workout stop immediately and contact your health professional.