What is an accelerated BSN?
- How is the program scheduled?
- Financial Aid
- How to get started
- Selection criteria
What is an accelerated BSN ?
An accelerated BSN is an alternative program that can dramatically shorten the time frame for receiving a degree in nursing for students who already hold a bachelor's degree in a non-nursing subject and have completed all required prerequisites. Accelerated program students take the nursing courses in a specially designed sequence providing the same number of credits as in a basic BSN program. By building on past educational achievements, students in our accelerated program can earn a BSN degree in four consecutive semesters.
How is the program scheduled?
The program requires full-time student status over four consecutive semesters. The program begins in January and students graduate in May of the following year.
Students complete all theory and clinical courses required to obtain a BSN degree. Courses include content in all nursing specialties and prepare graduates for beginning practice in professional nursing. The BSN graduate in nursing practices as a generalist.
Student loan programs are available. Please contact Cleveland State's Campus411 at (216) 687-5411.
Upon program completion, graduates are eligible to sit for the NCLEX-RN licensure exam, required for a Registered Nurse license.
Here’s How to Get Started
It is recommended that you attend an information session or schedule an appointment with a Recruiter/Advisor at (216) 687- 3598. Bring copies of your academic transcripts for all universities attended for evaluation of the prerequisite coursework. Transcript evaluations can be done through email, fax, or in person.
Students must complete prerequisites for the nursing major (time frame for completion varies by student) and apply directly to the School of Nursing for acceptance into the nursing major classes.
- Anatomy & Physiology I & II
- Chemistry I & II
- Proficiency in the current version of Microsoft Office Suite: Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
Begin the admission process by attending an advising session. Details and a schedule can be found on our website (http://www.csuohio.edu/nursing). You may also call the School of Nursing and schedule and appointment with an Advisor (phone 216.687.3598).
Requirements for admission include:
- Apply for admission to CSU four to six weeks prior to the School of Nursing application deadline.
- Complete all prerequisite coursework with a grade of “C” or higher. Maintain an overall prerequisite GPA of at least 3.00.
- Hold a baccalaureate degree from an accredited university with a cumulative GPA of at least 2.5.
- Apply for admission to the School of Nursing. The application deadline is June 1. You must have successfully completed two of the science prerequisites at the time of application submission.
- School of Nursing application materials include: SON application, fee, transcripts, two recommendations, and resume.
Selection of students is based on a number of criteria including prerequisite course grade point average, cumulative grade point average, references, resumes, interviews, an essay (written at the time of the interview) and identified related health care experience. The selection process is competitive and the number of spaces in the program is limited. Students not admitted or who do not accept an admission slot must reapply. There is no ongoing waiting list.
English as a Second Language (ESL) students are required to contact the English as a Second Language Department to arrange an assessment of their English language skills. The assessment may outline additional coursework that must be completed before admission to the nursing major.