Majors and Minors

Social Work

  • The Social Work program at Cleveland State University is nationally accredited by the
    Council on Social Work
  • Completion of the Social Work degree is the only avenue to meeting the requirements for the Social Work License.
  • All full-time faculty members have Doctoral degrees and are well-known at the local, state, national and international levels.


Graduates with a degree in social work are qualified to work in various fields of practice in Public and Private Human Service Agencies.

They work with individuals, families, small groups, neighborhoods and large communities.

According to the U.S. Department of Labor, social work is one of the nation’s fastest growing careers, and the need for social work services is expected to increase 30 percent
by 2010. Entry level salary ranges from $28,000 to $35,000

Cleveland State University Social Work graduates work in hundreds of human service agencies and organizations in the Greater Cleveland area, across the state, and the country.

Large numbers of our graduates with bachelor degrees in Social Work pursue their master’s degree. Many of these students continue towards a Doctoral degree in social work.


Click here to see the current academic year's Undergraduate Catalog requirements for the Social Work major .

NOTE:For official requirements, determine your catalog rights, and go to the undergraduate catalog that matches those rights. (The following requirements are ONLY for students whose FIRST semester at CSU is Fall 2011 or Spring 2012. For students who started BEFORE the 2011-2012 school year AND who have been enrolled during at least one of the past three semesters, including summer, please see your undergraduate catalog).

Students who are formally admitted to Cleveland State University may declare social work as their major at any time. Faculty members are available to provide advising for students in the areas of academic achievement and careers in social work.

Cleveland State University social work courses are always offered during the three semesters, both day time and evening.

Transfer students who are at the junior or senior levels must have completed courses from an accredited school of social work. Field experiences may not be transferred. No credit is given for work experience.

All degree seeking students are required to complete a specific number of General Education (GenEd) courses. Students are responsible for ensuring the appropriate selection of courses to satisfy GenEd requirements and are encouraged to consult with their academic advisor regarding the applicability of selected courses. A comprehensive description of Cleveland State University's General Education Requirements for undergraduate students is available online at

For more information, contact:
School of Social Work
Cleveland State University
2121 Euclid Avenue, CB 326
Cleveland, OH 44115-2214
Phone: 216.687.4570
<!--#include file="i-disclaimer-majors.html" -->