Center for International Services & Programs

Japan - Semester / Year Long Programs

Japan Center for Michigan Universities
JCMU offers the most affordable option for Japanese language study. The program is open to language learners at all levels but is intensive so students should be prepared for hard work and fast progress. The normal load for one semester is 10 credits of Japanese language study along with one elective. Japanese Culture & Society is recommended for students who have not already taken a similar course.

Kansai Gaidai University
The Asian Studies Program at Kansai Gaidai University allows students to study Japanese language at any level while also taking classes in other subjects taught in English. Subjects are taught by both Japanese and visiting foreign professors and include Business, Political Science, History, Anthropology, Sociology, Communications and Film Studies, Religion, Literature, Psychology, and Studio Art. Extracurricular activities include field trips, language exchange partner program, and options to live either with a host family or in a dorm.

KCP International Language Institute
For students who want to live in the mega city of Tokyo, this is the cheapest option. Students concentrate on Japanese language study. This is not a university but a language institute. Credit is granted and transcripts are issued through Western Washington University.

Sophia University
Located in the center of Tokyo, the Summer Session allows students not only to study about Japan but also to experience how many of the themes and topics raised in courses are manifest in Tokyo’s urban landscape. Where possible, the courses discuss and refer students to things they can see and experience in Tokyo itself.

USAC offers a nice selection of study abroad trips to some of the most predominant places in Japan.

Waseda University
Located in northern Shinjuku, Tokyo, Waseda University offers students both exchange and non-exhcange programs.

Not finding what you're looking for? Search the program databases of IIE Passport Study Abroad Directories, GoAbroad, or StudyAbroad.