University Honors Program
First Year Admissions
Incoming college freshman applicants should apply midway through their senior year of high school.
Application Deadline: January 15th
Students must meet at least ONE of the following criteria to be considered for the Honors Program; if the student does not meet one of the criteria the application will not be reviewed.
- 30 ACT Composite Score
- 1380 SAT Score
- Rank in the top 10% of their high school class
Application Checklist Incoming First Year Students
- Submit a completed Cleveland State University application and all associated materials to the admissions office (acceptance into the University is required before your Honors application will be reviewed)
- Submit a completed Honors Program application to the Mandel Honors College
- Submit a written autobiographical essay (See application for more details) to the Mandel Honors College
- Submit letters of reference: Two letters of reference are required – a maximum of three letters will be accepted. Applicants are encouraged to seek letters from reviewers able to comment on the student’s ability to complete honors-level work in their major
If an applicant is declined a place in the Honors Program, they will automatically be considered for the University Scholars program.
Please Note: Cleveland State University Honors Program does not interview prosepective students. The college is however willing to meet with prospective students to give them an overview of the program and answer questions. You can set up an appointment by calling 216-687-5559.
All applications must be submitted by January 15
University Scholars Program
First Year Admissions
Application Deadline: August 1
- 27 ACT composite score or above, OR
- 1280 SAT Score, OR
- Rank in the top 15% of their high school class.
- Submit a completed Cleveland State University application and all associated materials to the admissions office (acceptance into the University is required before your Scholars application will be reviewed),
- Submit a completed Scholars Program application to the Mandel Honors College
- Interview with Scholars advisor (call 216-687-5559 to schedule an interview), OR submit a brief essay (500 words) explaining how participating in the Scholars Program will benefit your academic career.