The College of Graduate Studies

Prospective Student - FAQ

How To Apply

How do I apply to a graduate program at Cleveland State University?
You may use the online application or download and print the paper application.

What materials do I need to submit?

  • Transcripts: You must submit official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions you have attended. An "official transcript" is sent directly from the institution to our office. If you attended Cleveland State University the Admissions Processing staff will obtain that transcript. We will accept hand-delivered transcripts if they are presented in the issuing institution's sealed envelope and bear the appropriate seals and signatures.
  • Application Fee: Degree-seeking, certificate, and licensure applicants must pay a non-refundable application fee of $40.00. The fee can be paid electronically through the on-line application, or it may be paid by check or money order. Make the check payable
    to Cleveland State University and send the check toAdmissions Processing.  . Each time a student applies, a fee must be paid with each application filed.  Students who complete multiple applications for multiple programs must pay the $40.00 fee each time they apply. Non-degree applications do not require a fee.
  • Test Scores (GRE, GMAT, MAT): Not all programs require test scores. Check the program's admission requirements in the Graduate Catalog.
    For information on the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) visit
    For information on the Graduate Management Aptitude Test (GMAT) visit
    For information on the Miller Analogies Test (MAT) visit
    The MAT is administered by the CSU Testing Center, phone 216-687-2272.
  • Letters of Recommendation: Not all programs require letters of recommendation. Check the program's admission requirements in the Graduate Catalog. You may also request letters of recommendation through your admission account, download and print a letter of recommendation form for your recommenders to use, or ask your recommenders to e-mail your letter to  Please include your CSU ID number in all correspondence and e-mail.
  • Personal Statement/Writing Sample: Some programs require a personal statement, a statement of purpose, a writing sample, or a statement of research interests. Check the program's admission requirements in the Graduate Catalog. If required by the program, personal statements can be uploaded through your admission account These documents can also be e-mailed to  Please put your name and CSU ID number on each page of your personal statement.
  • Supplemental Application: Some programs require a supplemental application. Check the program's admission requirements in the Graduate Catalog. Supplemental applications are submitted directly to the program.
  • Please note that all credentials submitted in support of your application become the property of Cleveland State University and will not be released under any circumstance.

Where do I send my materials?

Send all materials to:
Admissions Processing
Cleveland State University
2121 Euclid Ave., UN 443
Cleveland, Ohio 44115
FAX: (216) 687-5449
PHONE: (216) 687-5411

If delivering documents in person: 
All-in-One/Campus 411
Cleveland State University

2121 Euclid Avenue
Main Classroom Room 116
2258 Euclid Avenue Cleveland, OH 44115


Letters of Recommendation, Personal Statements and Supplemental Material can all be submitted through our online application system. Log back in to your online admission application and upload your documents.  Note that this option is only available if you are applying for a program that requires additional documents (Recomendation Letters, Resumes, Statement of Purpose etc). This option can be accesed using the "Manage Documents" and "Manage Recommendations" tabs in the Online Application.   

Are there Application Deadlines for my Graduate Program?

Some programs have early deadlines or only admit new students for certain terms. If you are applying to a program without a specific deadline, please submit materials six weeks before the start of the term.

How do I check my status of my Application?                                                                                                                                            

You may check the most up to date information on your application via Campusnet at any time.  You can also contact us by phone at (216-687-5411), or e-mail ( to find out what materials have been received. Please allow 24 hours from time of submission for receipt of documentation. We cannot divulge admissions decisions by telephone.

Admission Decisions

How will I know if I have been admitted?

You will receive notification of the admission decision by e-mail.  A formal decision letter, which may contain specific enrollment requirements or other instructions, will follow by U.S. Mail. Admission decisions cannot be released by telephone. Should you have questions, please contact the program for which you applied for details regarding your admission decision.

What can I do if I am unable to submit all materials in time?

You may defer your application to a future term. Requests for deferral must be made in writing to the address for sending materials, above. You may e-mail your request to; please include your full name, CSU ID number, and your new start date in the body of the message. You may also call us at (216) 687-5411.

You may also enroll as a non-degree graduate student by submitting a new application. Not all programs allow non-degree students to enroll in their courses. Check the program list for program contact information.

What is the admission decision process?

The materials you submit to Admissions Processing are made available to graduate program directors for review and evaluation. The decision of the graduate program is communicated to Admissions Processing and the decision is communicated to the applicant by e-mail and U.S. Mail. Check with the graduate program for more details. (see program list)

I was admitted but I cannot attend this semester. Can I defer my enrollment?

Offers of admission can be deferred for up to one year from the originally requested start term. For example, applications for Fall Semester 2016 can be deferred until Fall Semester 2017.  Programs which admit students on a cohort basis (i.e., all new students start in Fall Semester only) may require a new application for the next cohort. Check with the program for more information.

Requests for deferral can be submitted to; please include your full name, CSU ID number, and your new start date in the body of the message. After 1 year, if you are admitted but do not enroll, you must reapply to the university and pay the application fee again.

My application was denied and it was suggested that I attend as a non-degree student to strengthen my application. How do I do that?

You must file a new application, either by completing a new electronic application or by downloading and printing the paper form (see Non-Degree Student). There is no admission fee for non-degree admission.  Also, transcripts are not required for submission. If you wish to apply for degree seeking again either into the same or different program, you must reapply for degree-seeking and pay the $40.00 admission fee again.

My application was denied and I plan to apply again. What do I need to submit?

You must submit a new application, even if you have been attending CSU as a non-degree graduate student. You may not need to re-submit other materials; check with All-in-One/Campus 411(216-687-5411, to see what materials are on file.  Because you are submitting a new application, you must pay the fee again.

Tuition and Financial Aid

What is Ohio Residency?

Ohio residency guidelines are established by the Ohio Board of Regents (O.B.O.R.), which is the planning and coordinating agency for higher education in the State of Ohio. Please check our residency website for policies concerning Ohio Residency and you may apply.

What does it cost to attend CSU as a graduate student?

Check the Treasury Services web page for information on the payment of tuition and fees, including payment plans and third-party payment information.

Can graduate students receive financial aid?

Yes. Graduate students should file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid Form (FAFSA) at Cleveland State University's code is 003032.

Graduate students are eligible for loans and Federal Work-Study; contact All-in-1/Campus411 at (216) 687-5411.

How do I apply for a graduate assistantship?

Each program has its own process for awarding graduate assistantships, so please contact your program for specific information. General information about graduate assistantships can be found here.

International Degrees/Credentials

I have a degree from a university outside the U.S. How should I apply for admission?

Native citizens, naturalized citizens, and permanent residents apply as domestic students. International transcripts must be evaluated for U.S. degree equivalency and grade point average conversion. Transcripts should be submitted to Admissions Processing.

You may be required to submit proof of English proficiency, as outlined here. U.S. citizens and those from TOEFL exempted countries as listed here shall not be required to submit proof of English proficiency.

Applicants who are not US citizens or permanent residents must follow the international application procedures, described here.