Mechanical Engineering

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I get credit for transfer coursework?

This can be a three step process depending on the type and number of courses you have completed. Step One: Have an official transcript sent to CSU. The regisrar's office will be able to match many common courses with equivalent CSU courses. Courses such as math, english, history, economics, etc. are typically identified at this level. Review of your CSU transcript on CampusNet will determine if all your transfer credit has been sufficiently identified. Step Two: The registrar's office will send your application file to the Engineering Dean's office. If there are remaining transfer courses that are engineering oriented and have not been identified with any CSU courses, schedule an appointment with the Manager of Engineering Student Affairs. You may be asked to show instructors your course materials to evaluate equivalency. Step Three: If there are any remaining transfer courses that are specific to mechanical engineering and have not been identified with any CSU courses, schedule an appointment with the Undergraduate Student Advisor in the M.E. department. You may be asked to petition the department to waive a specific course(s) based on your previous coursework and supporting evidence of course content.

What is a grad app and why do I need to apply to graduate?

Admission to the program requires an undergraduate degree in engineering or science and a minimum grade-point average of 2.75.
The GRE is required for applicants in the following categories:

  • Applicants with a degree outside the United States or Canada.
  • Applicants with a degree from an unaccredited program (ABET, CEAB, or CCPE).
  • Applicants with a GPA below 2.75.
  • Applicants out of school for six or more years with an undergraduate GPA below 3.0.

The official name is Application for an Undergraduate Degree. It is a form that should be filled out two semesters before you intend to graduate, i.e. early fall semester for spring graduation. This is the mechanism by which the University verifies you have taken all the courses required to receive your degree. It follows a four step process however, lucky for you, the student only has to complete step one! Step One: The form can be picked up at the department office, the dean's office, or Campus411. The student fills out the form listing only those courses remaining to be completed (typically fall & spring semester courses) to satisfy degree requirements. Check with your advisor if you are not sure. The student then takes the form to the cashiers office, pays $25, and gets one receipt stapled to the form. The student then turns the grad app in to the dean's office. Step Two: The student's transcript together with the grad app allows the dean's office to determine if the student will satisfy all the college requirements (MTH, PHY, CHM, PHL, ESC). The form is signed-off at the college level and forwarded to the department. Step Three: The department reviews the student's record and determines if all the departmental requirements (MCE) for the degree will be met. The form is signed-off at the department level and forwarded to the registrar's office. Step Four: The registrar checks to ensure the student will satisfy all the University requirements (GenEd) and signs-off on the form. At this time, one copy of the grad app is sent back to the student.

From the student's perspective, no news is good news. Usually, if a problem is discovered at the college or department level, the student is notified before the grad app makes its way through all levels. The early submission of the form is intended to provide an opportunity for the student to pick up a missing requirement in the last semester if necessary.