Cleveland State University is dedicated to helping you get the most out of the credits that you have earned at other colleges and universities. Your transfer credits will be evaluated upon your admission to CSU. You will receive an official copy of your transfer evaluation by mail from the Office of the University Registrar.

Transfer Guides

Review the Transfer Guides for classes taken at one of our partner community colleges:

  • Columbus State Community College
  • Cuyahoga Community College
  • Lakeland Community College
  • Lorain County Community College
  • Owens Community College

Military Credits

Military personnel may be evaluated for transfer credit eligibility upon receipt of an official transcript from the appropriate dispensing body. For more information on transfer credit for Military Personnel, please visit our Office of the University Registrar.

You worked as a team member in the service, and there is a team in place at CSU to help you to complete your current mission successfully – use the team. The Veterans Student Success Program will help you find the academic assistance that best meets your learning needs.

External Test Credits

Cleveland State University grants credit for qualifying scores earned in the Advanced Placement (AP) and College Level Examination Program (CLEP) examinations (both offered by the College Board). Follow the links below for information on credits available for the various examinations.

Students seeking credit for AP or CLEP examinations must have their official score report sent directly from the College Board to the Office of the University Registrar.

Transfer Module

View the Ohio Transfer Module. The Transfer Module is a subset or entire set of a college or university's general education curriculum in A.A., A.S. and baccalaureate degree programs.

Transferology is an online tool to assist you in finding course equivalency and program requirement information for Ohio colleges and universities.


Cleveland State University awards transfer credit for academic work completed at other colleges or universities that are accredited by one of the following regional accrediting bodies:

  • MSMiddle States Association of Colleges and Schools
  • NEASC: New England Association of Schools and Colleges
  • NCA-HLC: North Central Association of Colleges and Universities, Higher Learning Commission
  • NWCCU: Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities
  • SACS: Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
  • WASC: Western Association of Schools and Colleges Commission

Students can visit the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) database for a complete listing of more than 7,600 degree-granting and non-degree-granting institutions and more than 18,700 programs that are accredited by United States accrediting organizations recognized either by CHEA or by the United States Department of Education (USDE) or both.

Transfer Credit Appeals

Once a transfer credit evaluator determines which classes are transferable, students may appeal equivalency decisions by lodging a petition with the Transfer Credit Evaluation Appeals Committee. Students seeking to appeal a transfer credit decision should meet with an academic advisor for assistance in compiling a petition.

Repeat Policy

Transfer credit is subject to institutional repeat policy (i.e. if you repeat a course that you have already received transfer credit for).

Transfer Credit - Frequently Asked Questions

I am an incoming freshman who has earned PSEOP/College Credit Plus credits. What should I do to get my transfer credit evaluated at CSU?
Students who have earned PSEOP credits should submit an official copy of their transcript to the Office of the University Registrar to be evaluated.

How will the work appear on my CSU transcript?
Only the name of the institution will be listed. Courses and grades from other schools do not appear on the CSU transcript.

Can I meet CSU's General Education requirements using my transfer credits?
Yes, but there are restrictions. For example, Writing Across the Curriculum (WAC) and Speaking Across the Curriculum (SPAC) courses must be completed at CSU. You cannot receive WAC or SPAC credit for a transfer course.

Can I meet my major requirements using my transfer credits?
Yes, but you must also check with your major department for approval.

How do credits from a quarter system transfer?
There is a conversion rate for courses coming from colleges or universities with quarter-based systems. Quarter units are multiplied by 0.667 to get semester units.

What is the maximum number of credits that can be transferred to CSU?
There is no limit. However, not all transfer credits will necessarily count towards your degree, and you have to earn your last 30 credit hours from CSU to graduate from CSU. Check with an academic advisor for further information.

What grade must I have achieved in order for work to transfer to CSU?
Students must have received a passing grade for course work to transfer to CSU. Coursework completed with a D grade attained prior to Fall 2005 are not accepted for transfer credit unless they were part of an Associates Degree completed at an Ohio public institution.

Can I receive transfer credit for courses taken as pass/fail?
Yes, if a pass grade was achieved. However, if the pass is considered equivalent to a D grade at the other institution, acceptance will depend on when the course was completed.

Can I get a copy of my transfer transcript?
No. Transfer transcripts from other institutions are not released to you or any outside agency from CSU. You should request a copy directly from the transfer school.

Where do I have my official transcripts sent?
Cleveland State University
Application Processing Center
Office of University Registrar
1836 Euclid Avenue, UN 443
Cleveland, OH 44115

I completed course work at a foreign institution. Will it transfer to CSU?
Foreign work is subject to the same requirements as domestic college work. Transcripts for study completed at an overseas university or college should be submitted to the Registrar's Office in the same way that transcripts from domestic study are submitted. Academic study completed overseas is assessed for transfer credit eligibility by an evaluator in the Center for International Services and Programs (CISP). CSU Study Abroad Programs are not considered transfer work. Credits earned through these CSU programs automatically appear on your CSU transcript.

How and when will I know that my transfer credit has been approved by the CSU transfer credit office?
Your transfer credit will appear on both your unofficial and official transcripts within two weeks after you have been admitted to a degree seeking program, assuming we have received all official transcripts. Transfer credit for military or foreign coursework can take up to six weeks to be assessed. If your transfer credits do not appear on your transcript after the above stipulated timeframes, please contact the All-in-1 Office at 216.687.5411 or email for assistance.

I've been admitted into a non-degree program - will my transfer credit be assessed?
No. Transfer credit is only assessed if you are admitted into a degree seeking program.

Are the grades from transfer work calculated into my grade point average?
No. Only grades from work completed at CSU will be calculated into your GPA.