Disability Services

For Prospective Students of Cleveland State and the Office of Disability Services

Enrolling at CSU:

Before you can register with the Office of Disability Services you must first be admitted to Cleveland State University. If you have not been admitted please contact 216-687-5411 to set up a visit or visit our Admissions webpages to learn about the admissions process and criteria. All students must meet Cleveland State’s admission criteria. When you have received your acceptance letter it is time to register with the Office of Disability Services.

Registering with the Office of Disability Services

The Basic process for registering with the Office of Disability Services is as follows:

Step 1: Apply for Services

  • Login with your CampusNet CSUID and password to Disability Services Online Application
  • Complete the application using an e-mail which you check regularly
  • Please choose disabilities which you have documentation to verify. The disability that has the greatest impact being your primary disability and any others being secondary

Step 2: Submit proper Documentation

  • Upload documentation of your disability to the Disability Services online system or submit it by any of the methods listed below
  • The online form can accept as many documents as you need to upload so long as no file is larger than 1 megabyte.
  • You can learn more about what documentation we will accept at Documentation Guidelines<
  • Have your documentation ready before submitting the online application.

Step 3: Come in for Intake Appointment

  • When a staff member reviews your application and documentation they will contact you to schedule an appointment.
  • You are not registered with our office until the Intake Appointment is complete

The Disability Services Online Application

View Registering with Disability Services on YouTube

Current students who wish to register with the Office of Disability Services must submit their application for services through the Disability Services Online Application. When your application is reviewed you will be contacted by our office to either request more information or to schedule an Intake Appointment. Your application for services is not complete until you have completed your Intake Appointment.

It is important that the student themselves fill out the online application. The student will be responsible for the answers to the questions in this application. It is permissible for a parent or advocate to help with submitting the application, however the student must be the person requesting services.

It is important that you use an e-mail which you frequently check when filling out the application. We will communicate with you to verify that we have received your application and send you links for completing the documentation submission if you do not complete that step when you submit your initial online application.

Documentation of your Disability

We cannot make any determinations about your request for accommodations until we receive documentation of your disability from a qualified Professional. You can learn more about what documentation we will accept at Documentation Guidelines. It is recommended that you have your documentation ready before submitting your online application.

We prefer that students submit documentation of their disability through the online application. After completing the online application you are sent to a page where you can upload your documentation. A link to this page is also sent with your application confirmation. You can submit as many files as you need to as long as the files do not exceed 1 megabyte in size. You can submit PDF, TIF, and JPEG.

Documentation can also be submitted by dropping off documents in our office in Main Classroom 147, by FAX to 216-687-2343, or by e-mail to ods@csuohio.edu. Documentation can also be mailed to our office at:

Office of Disability Services
Main Classroom 147
1899 E. 22nd Street
Cleveland, OH 44114

Please note that mailing documentation to our office may take more time than the other options listed.

Intake Appointment

After your application and documentation has been accepted we will schedule you for an intake appointment. Intake interviews take approximately 1 hour. You will sit down with a Disability Specialist and discuss:

  • Accommodations that you are eligible to receive based on your provided documentation
  • Your program of study and what to expect while navigating your educational experience
  • How to talk about your accommodations with your professors
  • Other services to explore which may be very beneficial to you
  • An introduction to the Disability Services online system for requesting accommodations.

During the Intake appointment the Disability Specialist will possibly refer you to other services like the

  • Counseling Center
  • Tutoring and Academic Success Center
  • Alternative Media Specialist
  • Assistive Technology Specialist.

Getting Your Faculty Notification Letters

The Faculty Notification Letter (also known as the accommodation memo) is a document from the Office of Disability Services which states the accommodations that you are requesting and are eligible to receive. This memo is used for facilitating a discussion with you and your professor. You will login to the Disability Services Online System to request your eligible accommodations you wish to use for each class. When requesting please check the box to have the letter e-mailed to your professor. When our Disability Specialists approve your requests the letters will be sent to your professors.

When you sign in there may be agreements for services that you need to read and acknowledge before being able to request your memos. The agreements outline the rules regarding the provision of services that you are eligible for. To sign the agreement you must type your full name as it appears at the top of the agreement.

Campus Escorts

If you come to the campus for the first time and are having trouble finding where you need to go call the Campus Escort Service at (216) 687-2020.

Financial Aid

You will need to apply for Financial Aid as soon as you plan on attending CSU. Our office is not able to assist in the financial aid application process except for ASL interpreters needed for a meeting or to offer computers with assistive technology that the forms can be filled out on at the campus. You can apply for financial aid through FAFSA’s Website. CSU’s Financial Aid Department has a great website that describes how the FAFSA process works and their webpages have information about other financial assistance that you may be eligible for.


For academic advising you will need to visit the advising office of the department of your major. If you are unsure of which office you need to visit for advising visit the Determining your Advising Office page. If you have questions about how your disability will effect different aspects of a course or need to request an accommodation please set up a meeting with one of our Disability Specialists.

Opportunities for Ohioans with Disabilities

In the state of Ohio Opportunities for Ohioans with Disabilities (OOD) provide vocational rehabilitation services to students making the transition from high school to college. They also provide vocational rehabilitation for people who become disabled later in life. The assistance they provide is for training programs, like a University, and for high and low tech aids to assist a person in their vocational endeavors’. For more information call 1-866.325.0026 or visit BVR and BSVI Regional Office contact list. For more information on BVR programs visit BVR and BSVI’s website.>


If you need accommodations for the new student orientation programs please contact our office at (216) 687-2015 at least 2 weeks before your scheduled orientation session. For information about the CSU Orientation programs visit the Orientation webpages.