Delta Alpha Pi is an honors society for students with disabilities. The purpose of this society is to focus on achievement by students with disabilities. The goal of this society will be to demonstrate that students with disabilities are capable of the scholastic accomplishments of their peers and to celebrate those accomplishments. Delta Alpha Pi chapters work to promote the successes of their members and educate others about the rights and possibilities of equitable access.
The Cleveland State chapter was chartered as the Zeta Gamma Chapter in fall 2018 and recognized by SGA in spring of 2019. Our students are an incredible and enthusiastic group of people. We would love for you to join our chapter and celebrate your academic achievement as a student with a disability.
We are only meeting twice in Fall 2019 for general membership and new member recruitment. We plan on being back to having two dates on the third week of each month in Spring 2020.
- New Member Recruitment and General Membership Meeting
- Wednesday, November 20th, 1:00PM-2:00PM @ RW202 (Fish Bowl next to Testing Services)
- Thursday, November 21st, 2:00-3:00PM @ RW202 (Fish Bowl next to Testing Services)
- These meetings are for new member and ally recrutment as well as to tell everybody what DAPi is up to for the 2020 school year. We will have pizza and beverages for attendees.
- Finals Week Study Break
- Tuesday December 11th, 12:00-4:00PM @ RT103 Assistive Technology Lab in Main Library
- Come to the AT Lab to relax and take your mind off of your studies and finals for a little while. We will have games and food. This event is open to all students with disabilities and DAPi Allies.
We will be scheduling our spring meetings, spring induction ceremony, and our employment rights workshop soon.
Delta Alpha Pi International Honor Society is open to undergraduate and graduate students with disabilities. Students initiated into Delta Alpha Pi International Honor Society must meet the following criteria:
All students must:
- Present with a documented disability and work with one of the staff members in the Office of Disability Services, or self-identify as an individual with a disability
- Demonstrate an interest in disability issues.
Undergraduate students must have:
- Completed a minimum of 24 credits
- Earned an overall Quality Point Average of 3.10 on a 4.00 scale.
Graduate students must have:
- Completed a minimum of 18 credits
- Earned an overall Quality Point Average of 3.30 on a 4.00 scale.
We request that all students that become members of Delta Alpha Pi Honors Society complete the release form to permit staff from the office of Disability Services to verify your eligibility for membership each semester. Please fill out and return the ODS Release to DAPi form and return it to the staff advisor Jeffrey Dell.
Because of the negative stereotyping associated with disability, students have been reluctant to identify themselves publicly. Delta Alpha Pi Honor Society presents an opportunity to change that perception by recognizing students with disabilities for their academic accomplishments. In addition this Honor Society facilitates development of skills in leadership, advocacy and education for participating students.
Delta – D for Disability, but also the triangle, symbol of strength. Members of Delta Alpha Pi demonstrate strength as leaders on campus to help break down the barriers of negativism. Also, they serve as mentors and role models for other students with disabilities.
Alpha – A for Achievement. Alpha is the beginning and academic achievement must come first. But also for advocacy because students must advocate for themselves before they can advocate for others. Members of Delta Alpha Pi enhance advocacy skills for themselves and for the rights of all individuals with disabilities to be included fully in society.
Pi – P for Pride, pride in academic achievement and in other accomplishments, not just as students with disabilities but as members of the university community. Pi is a mathematical symbol that we all learned to use in elementary arithmetic classes. So Pi is an appropriate symbol for education. Members of Delta Alpha Pi participate in activities designed to educate the community and society regarding the need to apply the principles of universal design in learning.
- Delta Alpha Pi on Vikes Connect
- Visit us in the CSU Vikes Connect Student Org Portal
- Delta Alpha Pi Zeta Gamma Chapter E-mail
- Staff Advisor:
- Jeffrey Dell
- Assistive Technology Specialist
- Faculty Advisor:
- Dr. Paula Chan Ph.D., BCBA-D
- Assistant Professor, Special Education Program Department of Teacher Education