Around the Chinese language and culture teaching programs and teacher professional development, the Confucius Institute conducts empirical research directed by Dr. Huiwen Li. Research projects are typically conducted in collaboration with visiting professors and researchers in the US and abroad.
MAJOR RESEARCH PROJECTS:
1. Chinese language and culture curriculum development
2. Teaching strategy and learning assessment
3. Teacher training and professional development
4. Culture shock and culture adaptation
5. HSK testing validity and placement test development
6. Chinese characters, culture, and calligraphy
7. Chinese as a Foreign Language (CFL) teacher competency
Principal Investigator: Huiwen Li, Doctor of Education
Dr. Huiwen Li is the CI educational program leader in charge of CI teaching, research, and journal projects. He teaches Chinese language at all levels, Chinese culture, empirical research methods, and Chinese calligraphy. His research interests include teacher professional development, curriculum development, culture shock and adaption, learning assessment, program evaluation, and psychology in education. He teaches Chinese language and linguistics, Chinese characters and calligraphy, and research methodology. He is also the predident of American Society of Shufa Calligraphy Education (ASSCE, 美国书法教育学会)
Shunqin Li, Master of Arts
Shunqin Li, visiting professor from International College, Yunan Agricultural University, China. Her main research field is Teaching Chinese as a Foreign Language.
Yufei Guo, Master of Arts
Yufei Guo, visiting professor from Jiamusi University, China. Her main research field is culture, second language acquisition and teaching methodology.
1. 李惠文. (2013). 建立海外孔子学院的风险评估机制.pdf 孔子学院发展研究, 1(2), 19-24.
Or, Li, H. (2013). Building up risk assessment system for overseas Confucius Institutes. Research on the Development of Confucius Institute, 1(2), 19-24.
2. 李惠文. (2014). 孔子眼中的好学.pdf孔子研究, 3(3), 19-23.
Or, Li, H. (2014). Love of Learning in Confucius’ eyes: Viewed from a systematic perspective.Confucius Studies, 3(3), 19-23.
3. Li, H. (2014). 赴美高校华文新教师岗前培训设计.pdf 海外华文教育, 3(3), 307-315.
Or, Li, H. (2014). A Practice-based design of training novice college CFL teachers in the US. Overseas Chinese Education, 3(3), 307-315.
4. Li, H., & Yu, Y. (2015). Assessing Needs for a Chinese Calligraphy Course.pdfTeaching Chinese in International Contexts, 1, 3-26.
Or, 李惠文, & 于月明. (2015). 高校书法课需求性测量评估. 国际中文教学新视野, 1, 3-26.
5. Kuo, L. J., Kim, T. J., Yang, X., Li, H., Liu, Y., Wang, H., Park, J. H., & Li, Y. (2015). Acquisition of Chinesecharacters.pdf Frontiers in psychology, 6.
6. 国立夫, & 李惠文. (2016). 基于PDCA的名师工作室活动设计.pdf 教育理论与实践, 36(5), 34-36.
7. 林昊 & 李惠文. (2017). 中文国际文凭项目考试特点与难点. 中文教学研究, 1(1), 1-9.
Or, Lin, H., & Li, H. (2017). The IB Test of Chinese as a second language: Features and difficulties.Research on Chinese Language Teaching, 1(1), 1-9.
8. 李惠文, 李顺清, & 韩丽芬. (2017). 在美中文教师常见的文化冲击及对策. 汉语学习与教学研究, 3, 57-66.
Or, Li, H., Li, S., & Han, L. (2017). Culture Shock Chinese Language Teachers Commonly Encounter in the US and Coping Strategies. Studies in Chinese Learning and Teaching, 3, 57-66.
9. 郭艳. (2017). 美国中小学汉语教学现状及问题探.pdf—以美国俄亥俄州 Cleveland Heights University Heights学区为例. 汉语学习与教学研究, 3, 67-76.
Or, Guo, Y. (2017). Current situation and problems of Chinese teaching in American schools---Exemplified with Cleveland Heights and University Heights District. Studies in Chinese Learning and Teaching, 3, 67-76.
10. Li, H., & McDermott, B. (2017). 11 Problems and the Coping Measures in American Beginners%27 Chinese Calligraphy Writing.pdfProblems and the Coping Measures in American Beginners Chinese Calligraphy Writing. Chinese Language Teaching Methodology and Technology, 1.
11. 李顺清, 韩丽芬, & 李惠文. (2017). 汉办在美教师课堂教学中的文化冲击. 汉语教学方法与技术, 1.
Or, Li, S., Han, L., & Li, H. (2007). Culture shock Hanban teachers encounter in American classroom teaching. Chinese Language Teaching Methodology and Technology, 1.
12. Li, H. (2017). Does Background Music Affect Memorization of Chinese Character Meaning. Research on Chinese Teaching and Learning, 2.