- Scholarship Categories
- Scholarship Coverage and Criteria
- Recruitment Procedures
- Application Documents
- Time Schedule
- Annual Appraisal
- Contact Information and Useful Websites
- Poster Download
Introduction to the Confucius Institute Scholarships
The Confucius Institute Headquarters, along with Hanban, is proud to announce the Confucius Institute Scholarship program. The purpose of this program is to support the development of the Confucius Institutes, facilitate Chinese language promotion and cultural transmission in the world, and cultivate qualified Chinese language teachers and excellent Chinese-language students. The program will sponsor foreign students, scholars, and Chinese-language teachers seeking a Master’s Degree in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages (MTCSOL), or students in such majors as Chinese Language, Chinese Literature, Chinese History, or Chinese Philosophy at designated universities in China (hereinafter referred to as "Host Institutes").
I. Scholarship Category and Eligibility Criteria
The scholarship is divided into 4 categories:
- Students seeking a Master's Degree in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages (MTCSOL)
- Students studying Chinese in China for One Academic Year
- Students studying Chinese in China for One Semester
- Students studying Chinese in China for Four Weeks
Applicants shall be non-Chinese citizens in good health, aged between 16 and 35 (Chinese language teachers in post shall be aged below 45). For more information, please refer to the Recruitment Procedures for Confucius Institute Scholarship.
- Scholarship for Students of MTCSOL: The scholarship is oriented at excellent students from Confucius Institutes (Classrooms), overseas local Chinese language teachers, winners of the "Chinese Bridge” Chinese Proficiency Competitions for Foreign College Students and for Foreign High School Students, excellent foreign college graduates majored in Chinese and outstanding performers on HSK exams, to undertake a Master's Degree in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages. The scholarship winner shall begin the study in autumn 2016 and the duration of scholarship is two academic years. The applicant should have a bachelor degree or its equivalent, get a score of at least 180 on the HSK (level 5) and a score of at least 50 on the HSKK (intermediate level), or a score of at least 180 on the BCT (B) and at least 260 on the BCT (spoken Chinese) . The applicant make a written commitment stating that he/she will be engaged in Chinese language teaching for at least 5 years after graduation. The applicant with a specific teaching post arranged will be given prior admission (certification by the institution he/she will teach for is required). Scholar winner who passes the annual assessment with the score of at least 180 on the HSK (level 6) and the score of at least 70 on the HSKK (intermediate level) by the first-academic-year after admission, is qualified for continuing the scholarship. Hanban will provide support for outstanding graduates to teach in their home countries.
- Scholarship for One Academic Year Students : The scholarship is oriented at outstanding students of Confucius Institutes (Classrooms), overseas local Chinese language teachers, winners of the “Chinese Bridge” Chinese Proficiency Competitions for Foreign College Students and for Foreign High School Students, excellent foreign college students majored in Chinese, outstanding performers on the HSK, and those who intend to become Chinese teachers. The scholarship winner may choose to study in majors including Chinese Language and Literature, Chinese History and Chinese Philosophy. The time of entrance is autumn 2016 and the grant term is one academic year with the training target for HSK level 5 and HSKK intermediate level. Applicants should achieve a score of at least 180 on the HSK (level 3) and at least 60 on the HSKK (primary level), or at least 180 on the BCT (A) and at least 180 on the BCT (spoken Chinese).
- Scholarship for One Semester Students : The scholarship is oriented at excellent students of Confucius Institutes (Classrooms), winners of the “Chinese Bridge” Chinese Proficiency Competitions for Foreign College Students and for Foreign High School Students, overseas local Chinese language teachers, excellent foreign college students majored in Chinese, and outstanding performers on the HSK. The scholarship winner may choose to study in majors including Chinese Language and Literature, Chinese History and Chinese Philosophy. The time of entrance is autumn 2016 or spring 2017, and the grant term is one semester with the training target for HSK level 4 and HSKK intermediate level. Applicants should achieve a score of at least 120 on the HSK (level 2) and at least 40 on the HSKK (primary level), or at least 100 on the BCT (A) and at least 120 on the BCT (spoken Chinese).
- Scholarship for Four Weeks Students：The scholarship is oriented at excellent students of Confucius Institutes (Classrooms) with a priority of language study and supplemented with cultural study. The time of enrollment is July to August, 2016 for four weeks. Applicants need to take HSK or BCT exam and submit a score report, with no prior experience of studying in China. Hanban will adjust the arrangement according to applicants’ language level to assign host institutes for their study.
II. Scholarship Coverage and Criteria
Scholarship winners are exempt from tuition, accommodation fees on campus, and are provided with monthly living allowance, and comprehensive insurance for foreign students studying in China. Monthly living allowances are provided at the following rates (CNY Yuan per month):
- CNY 2,500 for Bachelor’s Degree Students,One-Academic-Year Students and One-Semester Students.
- CNY 3,000 for Master’s Degree Students.
The resettlement subsidy is for CNY 1,500 for students who will study in China for one academic year or more; CNY 1,000 will be provided to all students who studies in China for one semester; the resettlement subsidy will not be provided to those who have studied in China for more than half a year before being enrolled.
III. Recruitment Procedures
- From the issue date of the Procedures, applicants can log on to the Confucius Institute Scholarship website at http://cis.chinese.cn, set up an individual account, read information and introduction of host institutes and majors, complete and submit the Confucius Institute Scholarship Application Form online.
- Confucius Institutes (independently set-up Confucius Classrooms), overseas Chinese test centers, educational and cultural offices (sections) of Chinese Embassies (Consulates), host institutes and institutions of higher education in those countries with no Confucius Institutes are entrusted by Hanban as the recommending institutions. The recommending institutions shall examine the qualification and application materials of applicants, and submit the list of recommended applicants to Hanban.
- Host institutes are responsible for reviewing the qualification of applicants and submitting the proposed enrollment name list of qualified candidates to Hanban.
- Hanban will organize an expert panel to make the final selection, and publish the name list of successful applicants on the Scholarship website. Hanban will also inform the host institutes and the recommending institutions, and the recommending institutions will inform the applicants.
- The host institutes will post “Admission Letter”, “Enrollment Instructions”, “Visa Application Form for Foreigners to Study in China" (JW202 Form) and other related materials to successful applicants through their recommending institutions.
IV. Application Documents
Applicants must log into the Scholarship website, fill out the “Confucius Institute Scholarship Application Form”, and attach the electronic files including the following materials:
- Photocopy of Passport photo page.
- Photocopy of HSK and HSKK score reports.
- Notarized diplomas of highest education attained (scheduled graduation proof or official proof of study).
- Reference letter and letter of commitment. The BTCSOL Scholarship applicants should submit pre-admission notice issued by the host institutes designated by Hanban. The MTCSOL Scholarship applicants are required to submit two reference letters from professors or associate professors (in Chinese or English) and a written commitment stating that the applicant will be engaged in Chinese language teaching for at least 5 years after graduation (written in Chinese and signed). College students majored in Chinese in countries with no Confucius Institutes established shall submit a reference letter signed and issued by the university President.
- Applications under the age of 18 shall submit relevant legal documents of entrusted legal guardians in China.
- Winners of the finals of the “Chinese Bridge” Chinese Proficiency Competitions for Foreign College Students and for Foreign High School Students in China shall submit the certificate of scholarship. Winners of preliminary rounds of the “Chinese Bridge” Chinese Proficiency Competitions in their countries shall submit award proof and a reference letter from the Chinese Embassy (or Consulate) in the competition area.
- Chinese language teachers shall submit certificate of employment and recommendation letters from the institutes they work for.
- Those applying for scholarship of One-Academic-Year + MTCSOL are required to provide the agreement signed with the Confucius Institute or the institute which they will be working for.
Other material required by host institutions:
- If the name on application is inconsistent with the name on the attached passport scanning file, or relevant certification material is incomplete, the application will be invalid.
- If the scholarship winner cannot register for certain reason, he/she shall inform the host institute 15 days prior the registration day with a written explanation. Those who cannot complete registration without any reason, the scholarship qualification will not be remained and no longer have the qualification of applying the scholarship.
- Scholarships will be canceled for those who cannot pass the health examination.
V. Time Schedule
- Oct. – Dec. 2015: Applicants register by email and take the HSK and HSKK or BCT exam.
- Jan. – Mar. 2016: Applicants prepare their application documents and are interviewed by the Confucius Institute at Cleveland State University.
- Mar. – Apr. 2016: Applicants complete and submit the application forms online.
- May – Jun. 2016: Applicants are selected by the host institute; The Confucius Institute headquarters reviews the applications and makes a final selection.
- Jul. – Sep. 2016: Winners make final preparations and then depart for China.
VI. Annual Appraisal
Students undertaking MTCSOL shall be subject to an annual appraisal organized by the host institutes before the end of the first school year after being enrolled according to the “Annual Appraisal Procedures for Confucius Institute Scholarship." Only eligible students are entitled to continue to receive the scholarships in the following year.
For contact information of host institutes and the Recruitment Procedures for Confucius Institute Scholarship, please visit the website at http://cis.chinese.cn.
Download the Posters for more Information