Foluké Cultural Arts Center, Inc.
2234 East 55th Street
Cleveland, OH 44103
Mon – Wed - Fri 10:00 am to 2:00 pm
Dava A. Cansler, Founder/Executive Director
Kevin Marr, Program Coordinator
Deborah Evans, Administrative Assistant
Foluké Cultural Arts Center, Central’s only arts center, is committed to making performing arts and arts education available to all, particularly those who live in “underserved” areas. The programming of Foluké is family-oriented with focus on at-risk children and youth. The goal is to provide positive alternatives to negative behaviors by instilling discipline, self-pride and boosting self-confidence through self-expression and self-discovery. Foluké Cultural Arts offers instruction and exposure to the performing and visual arts, and arts education for all ages, regardless of race, religious affiliation or economic background. The vision of Foluké Cultural Arts is to provide arts services to the greater Cleveland area with a special commitment to the Central ‘Promise’ Neighborhood, with a goal to utilize the arts to serve as a catalyst for academic achievement, socio-economic development and community pride.
PROGRAM ACTIVITIES: The arts in Central are designed to motivate and improve individual propensity to be involved in the arts through sequential learning. Each course will build interpersonal ties and promote self-expression through various creative arts activities. The courses for all age groups will focus on the following areas: Dance/Creative Movement; Theater/Creative Expression; Music/Music Theory and Visual Arts.
- Out-of-School Time Arts Mastery for Pre-K thru 12: to be held on Saturdays and during the summer in partnership with Central schools and community centers. Prospective Partners: George Washington Carver School, Stepstone Academy, Campus International, Friendly Inn Settlement
- Teen Summit: To be held after school in a series of workshops focused on social emotional learning, providing counseling, tutoring, resume writing and college readiness, group ‘talk backs and reflections’, creative writing, public speaking, and interviewing techniques. Partner: Friendly Inn Settlement
- In-School Residencies for Pre-K thru 8: Arts Mastery Classes during the school day based on need and request. Prospective Partners: George Washington Carver School, Stepstone Academy
- Foluké Cultural Arts Center Performance Arts Training: A training experience in the Arts Mastery and Stage production/Management created to engage participants in workforce development in the Creative Arts. The training is combined with the semi-annual productions by Foluké Cultural Arts that are presented at Cuyahoga Community College Metro Campus. Prospective Partners: Friendly Inn Settlement, Youth Opportunities Unlimited (YOU), Cuyahoga Community College, Theatrical Stage Union #27
- Creative Aging @ Phillis Wheatley Association (PWA): We are currently developing a model to meet the developmental needs of older people through engagement, sense memory, and self-expression. We will meet with PWA administrators to determine needs, and survey the interest of potential participants. We will introduce year round classes, depending on level of interest, in movement and dance; Creative Expression leading to Theatrical performance opportunities; Music Theory with opportunities to learn or re-learn playing a musical instrument; singing classes; and visual and design arts with opportunities to create art works in various media. Partner/Prospective Partner(s): Phillis Wheatley Association, Cleveland State University, Cleveland Clinic, Eliza Bryant, Fairhill Center
- Inter-generational/Community Arts Outreach: This series of three activities to be implemented in the form of Family 'FUN' days to engage the community and to disseminate information about upcoming arts and cultural activities, multi-generational arts classes, and performance opportunities. The themed events will include entertainment, participatory arts activities, a light meal, and registration for upcoming classes. Arts and culture activities could consist of, but is not limited to: a family drum circle; an all-male drum circle, or all female drum circle; Mommy and me workshop in dance; Capoeria; multi-generational visual arts workshops; etc; in addition to performance opportunities for the annual community play based on popular children's stories; cultural presentations; and talent shows. Partners: Various