Undergraduate Studies

High School Counselors and School Administrators - Pre-University Programs

I. High School Counselors and School Administrators

a. What are Pre University Programs?
b. What are the academic requirements for students who wish to be admitted to CSU’s Pre University Programs?

i. 3.4 GPA and
ii. 22 PLAN/ACT (each section) or
iii. 52 PSAT/ 520 SAT (each section)

iv. Other application requirements include a non-refundable, $30 application fee and an official high school transcript (faxes are not acceptable)

c. CSU school codes to have test scores automatically submitted (Recommended for all students planning to apply for PUP or as an undergraduate):

i. ACT/PLAN:  3270
ii. SAT/PSAT:  1221

d. What services PUP is prepared and committed to provide to high school counselors?

i. Phone calls and e-mails returned within two business days
ii. Student schedules completed before the end of the school year if the student’s application is completely handed in (and the student is accepted to CSU) before May 1st.  (Students must attend orientation to schedule for classes.)
iii. Schedules mailed to counselors one week prior to the start of the semester.
iv. Transcripts mailed to counselors three weeks after the last day of finals    [top]

e. What does CSU offer in terms of the ability to complete graduation requirements?

i. CSU offers a variety of courses in our six colleges that can be applied to any high school graduation requirement. 

      1. Please see our on-line course schedule for specific courses and times.  https://campusnet.csuohio.edu/guest/stage.htm

    ii. Common course requests include College Writing I-II (ENG 101-102), American Government (PSC 111), and Personal Health (HED 210)

    iii. Students are permitted to take courses in any college.

      1. In general, students with less than 30 college credit hours take courses numbered 100-299. 
      2. If students have AP credits, those will be considered.    [top]

f. How does CSU handle students’ AP credits?

i. Students’ AP credit can be used to qualify them to take an upper-level course.

      1. For example, students with an AP English score of 3 or higher are permitted to take 200-level English courses.
      2. An AP Calculus score of 3 or higher enables students to take 200-level math courses, including Multivariable Calculus (MTH 281)

    ii. PLEASE NOTE:  No institution will grant official AP credit to high school students while they are in high school.  Students must apply as undergraduates, be accepted, and take a course for a semester to have their AP credits registered on their CSU transcript.  

g. What does CSU expect from high school counselors in terms of application information and communication?

i. Applications and transcripts should be submitted by the due dates on the PUP application in order to ensure timely processing by CSU. 

      1. Please call the PSEOP Coordinator to see if a deadline extension is permissible.

    ii. Communication about student issues that may affect their success at CSU.    [top]

h. Can a CSU representative come and speak at your PSEOP information session?

i. Please contact the PSEOP Admissions Representative to attend and/or present at your PSEOP information session.

    ii. CSU annually visits Tri-C and the high schools in Brooklyn, Cleveland Heights, Richmond Heights, Westlake, and others.    [top]

i. How can a CSU course be taught at your high school?

i. Why have a CSU course taught at your high school?

      1. Students can earn college credit without leaving their high school.
      2. Students can be exposed to college level curriculum that may not have been previously available to them at the high school.
      3. School-university partnerships can promote inter-institutional dialogue.  
      4. a. The high school can use the relationship to promote the idea of the importance of a college education.

      5. High school teachers have direct access to college curriculum.
      6. Some faculty can be contacted for curricular and assessment advice. 

    ii. What is the process for a course to be offered on a high school’s campus?

      1. Discussions must occur concerning what course and who will teach the course

        a. If a high school teacher will be teaching the course, the teacher must be hired by CSU, submitting a vita and all other required materials to teach as a part-time instructor.

        i. If the high school teacher is teaching as part of her/his teaching load, the department pays the school district for the cost of a part-time instructor, and the instructor is classified as an affiliate

        ii. If the teacher is teaching the course outside of her/his teaching load, the teacher is paid, and is classified as a part-time instructor.

        b. If a faculty member is teaching the course, CSU should be reimbursed for the cost of the instructor. 

      2. Students who have applied and been admitted to CSU are enrolled in the course by the PSEOP Coordinator.
      3. The district sends the CSU department a bill for the course if it is taught as part of the teacher’s regular load.
      4. The PSEOP Coordinator is responsible for having students’ transcripts mailed to the high school counselor upon completion of the course.    [top]

    iii. Who takes the course?

      1. Any student from the high school who is qualified to take the course

        a. If the course is an advanced course, it is required that students meet all prerequisites for the course.

        i. Students’ AP credit can be used to qualify them to take the course.

        ii. AP credit is not officially granted by CSU to high school students while they are in high school.  Students must apply as undergraduates, be accepted, and take a course for a semester to have their AP credits registered on their CSU transcript.  

        b. Students from other high schools will ask the CSU PSEOP Coordinator to take a course at that high school.  High schools are encouraged to permit a student from another school to take that course on the high school’s campus.  (For another student’s schedule to actually fit the high school’s schedule is extremely rare.)    [top]

      2. How do students apply to CSU?

        a. Students apply with the same application that all PSEOP/Viking Bridge students use.

        b. If a student is NOT accepted to CSU but still wishes to take the course on the high school’s campus, that student is permitted to take the course to receive high school credit, but will not receive CSU credit for the course.   

    iv. What are the qualifications for the high school teacher to teach the course at the high school?

      1. These are determined by the academic department.

        a. A master’s degree in the discipline is a common requirement.

        b. Instructors have been permitted to have a master’s degree in education, but that is left to the discretion of the department.

      2. The instructor must complete the CSU hiring process for part-time instructors.

        a. The PSEOP Coordinator and department of the course will guide the instructor through the process.