Undergraduate Studies

For Faculty and Staff - Pre-University Programs

a. What if a PSEOP or Viking Bridge student is in your class?

i. Who are the PSEOP/Viking Bridge students?

1. PSEOP/Viking Bridge students take CSU courses for college and high school credit.  They are still in high school and can be in grades 9-12.  (The great majority of students are seniors in high school and are under the age of 18.)

ii. From where do they come?

    1. Students come from Northeast Ohio.  Most attend public high schools.  A handful of students come from private schools or have been home schooled. 

iii. What are their academic credentials?

    1. PSEOP/Viking Bridge students meet requirements that exceed those required for traditional students to matriculate to CSU. 

    a. 3.4 gpa AND
    b. 22 on each section of the PLAN/ACT or
    c. 520 on each section of the PSAT/SAT
    d. Students entering as 9th graders must write an essay and submit two letters of recommendation from their high school.

    2. In the spring of 2007, the Faculty Senate granted PSEOP/Viking Bridge students provisional admission status.  If a student does not meet each requirement, the Admissions Committee reviews her/his application to determine the likelihood of the student’s success at CSU. 

iv. Are there any special considerations that should be made for these students?

1. No, they are to be considered like any other enrolled CSU student.
2. They have the same rights as all students, including FERPA.  [top]

b. What if you wish to offer or manage a program that involves high school students earning CSU credit?

i. What application must be used?

    1. In order for a high school student to be admitted to CSU to earn college credit, the student must use the PSEOP/Viking Bridge application
    2. It is possible for programs to ask students to complete additional information, but the application must be used.
    3. Please DO NOT make an independent application or ask students to complete an application other than the PSEOP/Viking Bridge application.  Students will not be admitted to the university without it.

ii. How are students admitted to your program?  What are the requirements for application deadlines and informing students of their acceptance or rejection to the program?

    1. The Registrar’s Office admits all CSU students. The Registrar’s Office will determine which students would be admitted as PSEOP/Viking Bridge students. 
    2. The Program Coordinator or Application Review Team of the program in question will then select the students for their program out of the students that the Registrar’s Office has admitted.
    3. It is the Program Coordinator’s responsibility to review applications within three weeks of the due date of the application.  Students and families make work and other plans, especially during the summer.  It is necessary for students to know if they have been accepted or denied, so they can plan appropriately. 

    a. If an extension of the application deadline is necessary, students who have completed their applications on time will be notified of their admission status.  A wait-list can be created, but students must be informed that they have been placed on the wait-list.    [top]

iii. What are the credentials students must have to participate?

    1. Students must meet the gpa and test score requirements explained above.
    2. They must submit a completed PSEOP/Viking Bridge application, high school transcript, and $30 application fee.
    3. Students participating while they are in the 9th grade must submit two letters of recommendation and write an essay.

iv. When must students apply to CSU?

    1. Students applying to take courses in the summer must apply by May 1st.  If the program starts later in the summer session, the program must set the application deadline no later than three weeks prior to the start date of the program. 

v. How should you market your program?

1. Use contacts at high schools
2. Go to high schools and present to students and their parents
3. Flyers and e-mails to superintendents/principals/school counselors
4. Advertisements in school district sports or arts programs
5. Multimedia advertising    [top]

c. What if your department would like to offer a course on a high school’s campus?

i. What is the process for a course to be offered on a high school’s campus?

    1. Discussions must occur with the district or high school concerning what course and who will teach the course

    a. If a high school teacher will be teaching the course, the teacher must be hired by CSU, submitting a vita and all other required materials to teach as a part-time instructor.

    i. If the high school teacher is teaching as part of her/his teaching load, the department pays the school district for the cost of a part-time instructor, and the instructor is classified as an affiliate

    ii. If the teacher is teaching the course outside of her/his teaching load, the teacher is paid, and is classified as a part-time instructor.

    b. If a faculty member is teaching the course, CSU should be reimbursed for the cost of the instructor.  School district union-negotiated agreements will dictate payment.

    2. The course must be submitted to the Registrar, like any other course, through Peoplesoft.

    3. Students who have applied and been admitted to CSU are enrolled in the course by the PSEOP Coordinator.    [top]

    4. The district sends the CSU department a bill for the course if it is taught as part of the teacher’s regular load.

a. Districts must be notified sometimes to bill us.  Our integrity in this matter promotes positive district-university relations. 

5. The PSEOP Coordinator is responsible for having students’ transcripts mailed to the high school counselor upon completion of the course.

ii. Who takes the course?

    1. Any student from the high school who is qualified to take the course

      a. If the course is an advanced course, it is required that students meet all prerequisites for the course.

      i. Students’ AP credit can be used to qualify them to take the course.

      ii. AP credit is not officially granted by CSU to high school students while they are in high school.  Students must apply as undergraduates, be accepted, and take a course for a semester to have their AP credits registered on their transcript.  

      b. Students from other high schools will ask the PSEOP Coordinator to take a course at that high school.  Efforts should me made to encourage high schools to permit a student from another school to take that course on the high school’s campus.  (For another student’s schedule to actually fit the high school’s schedule is extremely rare.)    [top]

    2. How do students apply to CSU?

      a. Students apply with the same application that all PSEOP/Viking Bridge students use.

      b. If a student is NOT accepted to CSU but still wishes to take the course on the high school’s campus, that student is permitted to take the course to receive high school credit, but will not receive CSU credit for the course. 

iii. What are the qualifications for the high school teacher to teach the course at the high school?

    1. These are determined by the academic department

      a. A master’s degree in the discipline is a common requirement

      b. Instructors have been permitted to have a master’s degree in education, but that is left to the discretion of the department.    [top]