Five-Year Bachelor of Arts in Environmental Studies + Master of Arts in Environmental Studies (B.A.; M.A.)
Degrees granted: Bachelor of Arts and Master of Arts
Advising: designated college adviser for Phases I and II, phone: 216-687-3884; for Phase III, phone: 216-523-7522
Student organizations: Urban Studies Association
The five-year B.A.+ M.A. is a fast-track program designed for high-performing undergraduates in the Environmental Studies program. By accelerating the completion of two degrees, students can jumpstart their careers as professionals in environmental management, environmental planning or other related fields.
Students submit an application for admission to the BA+MA program through the Urban Studies advising office. A complete application is comprised of the 4+1 application form, official Graduate Record Exam scores, and two letters of recommendation from faculty.
Minimum qualifications: 90 hours earned, grade-point average of 3.25 or better, GRE scores at the 40th percentile (verbal and quantitative combined) or higher, and an Analytical Writing score of 4.0 or higher, plus completion of core competencies with grades of B or higher in UST 300, UST 404, ENV 435, and CVE 450, or their transfer equivalents.
Required Natural Sciences (33 credit hours)
- BIO 200/201 Intro to BIO I and Lab
- BIO 202/203 Intro to BIO II and Lab
- CHM 251/256 College Chemistry I and Lab
- CHM 252/257 College Chemistry II and Lab
- ENV 259 Natural History of the Cleveland Area
- GEO 100/101 Intro to Geology and Lab
- PHY 221 College Physics I (5 hrs.)
- UST 289 Physical Geography
Upper Division College Requirements (8 credit hours)
Major-Field Requirements (36 credit hours)
- UST 300 Economics of Policy Analysis*
- UST 434 Intro to Geographic Information Systems
- ENV 435 Environmental Policy and Administration*
- ENV 436 Urban Sustainability
- ENV 489 Advanced Senior Seminar
- ENV 553 Environmental Planning*
- CVE 450 Environmental Technology* (3 hrs.)
- ENG 509 Technical Writing* (2 hrs.)
- EVS/GEO 506 Ecosystem Science* (3 hrs.)
- PHY 570 Environmental Physics*
- ENV 490 Environmental Internship (4 cr.)
- PAD 516 Public Finance and Economics* (4 hrs.)
- ENV 550 Environment and Human Affairs* (4 hrs.)
The B.A. in Environmental Studies is awarded with 128 credit hours earned and completion of all General Education, college and major-field requirements. The cumulative GPA must be at least 3.0 with B or better in all 500-level courses.
*must earn B or better
Core (12 credit hours.)
- ENV/UST 595 Environmental Seminar (1 hr.)
- UST 601 Applied Quantitative Reasoning I(4hrs)
- ENV 652 Environmental Policy and Administration (4 hrs.)
- LAW 671 Environmental Law and Regulation (3 hrs.)
Electives (6-8 credit hours.)
Exit Requirement (4 credit hours.)
The M.A. in Environmental Studies is awarded upon completion of a minimum of nine graduate courses taken during Phase II (B.A.) and Phase III (M.A.) for a minimum of 30 credit hours. All Graduate College and M.A. in Environmental Studies program rules regarding academic standing and graduation apply.