Academic advising is a critical and important support resource available to all undergraduate students at Cleveland State University. Advising support helps ensure that students get the most out of their academic experience. Academic advisers on campus work closely with students on an individual basis to help them develop and achieve their academic, career, and personal goals, and provide ongoing support and assistance to enhance student success. This ongoing support includes the following:
- Guidance in planning a program of study according to each student's academic interests, skills, and goals
- Helping students develop an understanding of the academic requirements needed for graduation, including GenEd, college, and major requirements
- Providing students with assistance in major and career exploration choices and opportunities
- Assistance with navigating and utilizing university information systems such as CampusNet and Degree Audit
- Assistance with learning and understanding university policies and procedures
- Assistance with petitions and graduation applications
- Providing referrals to appropriate university resource offices and departments as needed
Cleveland State Academic Advising Process
Cleveland State University utilizes a model of advising in which a majority of the academic advising is provided in the academic colleges. Each college of the university has its own advising office designed specifically to provide advising support for students in that particular college. This model of advising provides students with an immediate connection to their college and college adviser, and provides a venue for students to get connected with their academic major department and faculty. This link to college advisers, academic departments, and faculty is a critical component of achieving and maintaining academic success.
Cleveland State also offers advising support to students who are undecided about their major through the Exploratory Advising Office.
For information about how to determine which advising office is appropriate for you, and how to contact your college advising office, go to http://www.csuohio.edu/academic/advising/
. Athletic Academic Advising assists the student athlete in assuming the responsibility for the determination of all aspects of academic and career goals while complying with NCAA rules and bylaws. The Athletic Academic Advising program is designed to supplement, support, advise, counsel, direct and suggest, but the student-athlete must assume the responsibility for his or her own education. Athletic Academic Advising informs, counsels, advises, enlightens and explains to students the options and support services available that will sustain academic success while applying NCAA rules and regulations that tend to limit normal academic freedom, but accelerate their pursuit of a degree. For more information, Call (216) 687-4824
The TRIO/Student Support Services Program is grant funded through the United States Department of Education and has been part of the Cleveland State University Campus for over thirty-eight years. TRIO/SSS works in cooperation with all offices at Cleveland State University and continues to be committed to helping students progress towards graduation and beyond. TRIO/SSS provides opportunities for academic development, assists students with basic college requirements, and serves to support and motivate students toward the successful completion of their postsecondary education. The goal of TRIO/SSS is to increase the college retention and graduation rates of its participants and help students make the transition from one level of higher education to the next.
TRIO/SSS participants have benefited from the following services:
- Academic advising
- Academic skills sessions
- Career planning seminars
- Computer application workshops
- Cultural and social enrichment activities
- Financial aid workshops
- Graduate and professional schools preparation
- Peer mentoring
- Summer Enrichment Program
- Tuition assistance (if eligible)
- Tutorial services
To qualify for participation in the TRIO/SSS Program at Cleveland State University, an applicant must meet the following criteria:
- Be officially admitted and enrolled at Cleveland State University
- Be a citizen or national of the United States of America or meets the residency requirements
- Be a first generation college student (parent(s) did not graduate from a 4 year institution) and/or,
- Meet income criteria set forth by the U.S. Department of Education
If you are interested and want to determine your eligibility, please call (216) 687-2402 or visit the TRIO/Student Support Services Program office in Main Classroom 110.All services are provided at NO COST to participants of the TRIO/Student Support Services Program.
The TRIO/Student Support Services (SSS) Program is grant funded through the U.S. Department of Education and has been part of the Cleveland State University Campus for over 40 years. TRIO/SSS works in cooperation with all offices at Cleveland State University and continues to be committed to helping students progress towards graduation and beyond. TRIO/SSS provides opportunities for academic development, assists students with basic college requirements, and serves to support and motivate students toward the successful completion of their postsecondary education. The goal of TRIO/SSS is to increase the college retention and graduation rates of its participants and help students make the transition from one level of higher education to the next.
TRIO/SSS participants benefit from services such as:
- Academic advising
- Academic Skills Sessions
- Career Planning Seminars
- Computer Application Workshops
- Cultural and Social Enrichment Activities
- Financial Aid Guidance
- Financial Literacy Workshops
- Graduate and Professional School Preparation
- Peer Mentoring
- Study Abroad Scholarships
- Summer Enrichment Program
- Supplemental Grant Aid (if eligible)
- Tutorial Services
- First generation college student: Neither parent /guardian graduated from a 4-year institution and/or
- Low-income based on federal income guidelines
- Enrollment or accepted for enrollment at Cleveland State University
- U.S. citizen and/or legal permanent resident
- Demonstrated academic need as determined by TRIO/SSS
If you are interested and want to determine your eligibility, please visit the TRIO/Student Support Services Program website at http://www.csuohio.edu/academic/advising/trio.html or call 216-687-2402.
All services are provided at no cost to participants of the TRIO/Student Support Services Program.