University Regulations


Enrollment dates and procedures can be found on the University Registrar's website at

Enrollment Status

An undergraduate student enrolled in at least 12 credit hours (excluding courses taken on an audit basis) each semester shall be considered a full-time student. Enrollment of six credit hours shall be considered half-time and fewer than six credit hours shall be considered less than half-time.

Return to Enrollment menu | Return to top

Class Rank

Undergraduate class rank is determined by the number of cumulative hours completed.

Determination of Undergraduate Class Rank
Rank Hours
Freshman 0-29 hours
Sophomore 30-59 hours
Junior 60-89 hours
Senior 90+ hours

Return to Enrollment menu | Return to top


Each term it is necessary for a student to select courses and pay the appropriate fees to officially enroll for classes. Details regarding enrollment options are available on the University Registrar's Web page at

Each term's enrollment dates and procedures can be found on the university's academic calendar. Add/drop/withdrawal deadlines may be reduced proportionately for any alternatively scheduled course that does not follow that term's established begin and end dates.

Return to Enrollment menu | Return to top

Changes to Enrollment

A student may enroll for a course by the end of the first week of classes in fall and spring term or before the posted deadline for summer sessions and alternatively scheduled courses without permission. After the first week and up to the 15th day of the term for fall and spring or until the last day to register/add with permission for summer term and alternatively scheduled courses, enrollment may only occur with the permission of the instructor by way of the appropriate late enrollment form. All enrollment forms are available on the University Registrar’s website.

Return to Enrollment menu | Return to top

Official University Withdrawal Regulations

A student may withdraw from a course without permission through the 10th week of fall and spring or before the published deadline for summer sessions and alternatively scheduled courses.

A withdrawal prior to the 15th day of fall and spring or before the published summer session deadline will not result in a grade on the student transcript. A withdrawal after the 15th day up through the withdrawal deadline will be indicated on the university official academic record by a “W.”

Non-attendance does not constitute an official withdrawal from the course. A grade of “F” may be assigned when a student fails to complete a course or withdraw.

Dropping/withdrawing from courses may affect student financial aid. Students are strongly encouraged to consult their college advising office or Campus411 prior to withdrawing from classes in the current term or retroactively.

Return to Enrollment menu | Return to top

Administrative Withdrawal

The university has the authority to withdraw students from classes. Such withdrawals can be enforced upon the request of instructors or academic departments for a variety of reasons including lack of prerequisite course work, inadequate placement results or non-attendance.

Return to Enrollment menu | Return to top

Attendance Requirements

Students are expected to attend class.  If a student expects to be absent for an extended period of time, notification should be given to the course instructor or college dean.  Non-attendance does not constitute a withdrawal.

Return to Enrollment menu | Return to top

Academic Course Load

The maximum number of credit hours a student may enroll in for the term is determined by each college. A student wishing to enroll in more credits than the college permits must do so only with the written consent of the student’s academic dean or academic advising unit. This written consent must be submitted at the time of enrollment. For college specific information, visit the Academic Course Load section for the appropriate academic unit.

Return to Enrollment menu | Return to top

Undergraduate Students Taking Graduate Courses

An undergraduate student who is pursuing a baccalaureate degree at Cleveland State University may be granted permission to take one or more (maximum of nine credit-hours) graduate courses at the 500 level if the student meets all the following conditions:

  1. The student must be within 30 hours of graduation.
  2. The student must have an overall grade point of 2.75 or better through the preceding semester.
  3. The student must have a 3.00 or better grade-point average in the major field.
  4. The student must obtain permission from his or her adviser, the instructor of the course, and the department chair, via signature on the Undergraduate Student Permission to Take Graduate Courses form.

An undergraduate student who is deficient in any of the above respects may not take a graduate course without the approval of the academic dean of the college where the course is offered and the graduate dean. Undergraduate students may not register for 600- to 800-level graduate courses.

Credit for these courses, up to a maximum of nine credits for courses where the grade received is B or above, may be applied at a later point to a graduate degree program provided that the credit was not used to satisfy baccalaureate degree requirements. Internal transfer of credit is subject to Graduate College transfer credit regulations.

Post-baccalaureate and non-degree students enrolled at the undergraduate level may not register for graduate-level classes.

Return to top

College-to-College Transfer

A student wishing to transfer from one college of the university to another may do so with the consent of both deans. The transfer request is initiated with the Advising Office of the college in which the student is currently enrolled.

Return to top

Declaration of Major

Undergraduate students are strongly encouraged to identify major areas of study in conjunction with their academic advisers early in their academic career. It is relatively common for students to explore several areas of study. However, in order to provide students with the best possible opportunity to graduate in a timely manner, all undergraduate students are required to formally declare a major before completing 60 credits. Transfer students who are admitted to the university with more than 60 credits are allowed one semester of study before enrolling in the subsequent semester. This requirement applies to degree-seeking students. Certain colleges and/or programs of study may have specific declaration of major requirements. In those cases, the college/program requirements supersede this university requirement. Contact the University Advising Center and College Advising Offices to facilitate any changes to your major.

Return to top

Transient Status for Current Cleveland State Students at Other Schools

Transient status is approved for eligible students who are currently in good academic standing, up to the limit of eight semester hours over the course of their career at Cleveland State University. Students will not be approved for transient status beyond this limit except when the course(s) to be taken are not offered at Cleveland State and can be justified in terms of their academic program. All work to be completed on a transient basis must be approved in advance through submission of the Transient Permission Form, which is available through the University Registrar's website at: as well as the various collegiate academic advising offices.

Prior approval must be obtained by students to ensure acceptance and applicability of transient work, according to the following guidelines:

  1. All students must obtain approval from the dean's office of the academic college in which they are enrolled.
  2. Declared majors must also obtain approval of a faculty adviser within their department in cases where the course is to be applied toward a major-field requirement.

Students who are in their last 30 credits of work at Cleveland State University, and those with junior standing wishing to attend a two-year institution, must seek approval of transient status by petitioning the University Petitions Committee prior to taking the course. Students with junior standing (but not in their last 30 hours) may take a course at a four-year institution with transient permission.

Return to top

Cross Registration

Full-time Cleveland State students, in good academic standing, can cross-register for a course each semester on a no-fee basis at 14 local colleges and universities. This status is designed to enhance the educational programs of students by allowing them to register for courses not offered at their home school. Cross registration forms can be obtained from Campus411 or by visiting the University Registrar’s Web page. Students should be aware of the scheduling differences at each institution.

Students must remain at full-time status to be eligible for this program. A student's total credit hours (CSU+ hours at the cross-registered school) may not exceed 16 credits.

Return to top

Credit for Study Abroad

A student who seeks credit for study abroad should consult in advance with the study-abroad coordinator, who will assist the student in obtaining approval for plans.

To be eligible for study abroad, a student must have a university GPA of at least 2.00 and must be enrolled as a degree or non-degree seeking student. Graded credit is awarded only for academic work completed in faculty-led Cleveland State University study abroad programs and programs led by faculty from the Northeast Ohio Universities Modern and Classical Languages Consortium (CSU, Kent State University, University of Akron and Youngstown State University). Final authorization of transfer credit is given after the student presents to the Study-Abroad Manager documentation showing fulfillment of approved written plans for credit and after review by appropriate academic departments.

Return to top


engaged learning
General Information
Regulations Contents
Mailing Address
Office of Undergraduate Studies
Cleveland State University
2121 Euclid Avenue, MC 107A
Cleveland, OH 44115-2214
This site contains files that require the free Adobe Reader to view.