(A) Policy statement
(1) Cleveland state university has a vital interest in maintaining a safe, healthy and respectful learning and working environment for members of the university community. The university seeks to set a model for a tobacco free workplace and promotion of healthy lifestyles now and in the future. Research findings show that use of tobacco products in general constitutes a significant health hazard.
(2) Tobacco use, including the sale, advertising, sampling and distribution of tobacco products and tobacco related merchandise is prohibited in all university facilities, on all university grounds, whether leased or owned, and at university-sponsored events, regardless of the venue.
(3) Tobacco industry and related company sponsorship of athletic events and athletes is prohibited.
(1) "Tobacco " - Tobacco is defined as all tobacco-derived or containing products, including, but not limited to, cigarettes, (clove, bidis, kreteks), e-cigarettes, cigars and cigarillos, hookah-smoked products, and oral tobacco (spit and spitless, smokeless, chew, snuff, snus).
(2) "University facilities" - University facilities are defined as any facility or property that is owned, leased, used or occupied by the university, including but not limited to: classrooms, restrooms, auditoriums, offices, lounges, dining areas, recreational facilities, parking lots, parking garages, rooftops, storage areas, service shops, garages, walkways, enclosed bridges, thoroughfares, facilities operations areas, athletic facilities, extension locations, all university vehicles (owned or leased), and personally owned or rented vehicles when used to transport university faculty, staff or students on any school-related business, academic or student life activities.
(3) "Members of the university community" are defined as anyone on campus including but not limited to faculty, staff, students, visitors, consultants, vendors, volunteers and contractor employees.
(C) Exceptions and limitations
(1) Tobacco use may be permitted for controlled research with prior approval of the provost, and in the case of smoking, the review and recommendation of the department of environmental safety and health.
(2) Tobacco use may be permitted for educational, clinical, or religious ceremonial purposes with prior approval of the provost and in the case of smoking, the review and recommendation of the department of environmental safety and health.
(3) Tobacco use is permitted on primary public traffic and pedestrian thoroughfares.
(4) Tobacco use may be permitted on properties the university owns, but leases or otherwise conveys an interest (e.g. an easement) to a non-university party for non-university purposes, according to the provisions of the applicable lease or agreement.
(5) Tobacco use in facilities that are not owned, leased, or controlled by the university, are subject to the non-tobacco policies applicable to those particular facilities, and are exempt from this regulation.
(D) Compliance and enforcement (1) The responsibility for the enforcement and communication of this policy depends on the thoughtfulness, consideration and cooperation of all members of the university community.
(2) University administration will develop administrative guidelines and procedures as necessary to implement this policy by the beginning of the fall semester 2013, including provisions for notification, communications, training, signage, complaint procedures, disciplinary consequences, and enforcement.
(E) Tobacco usage cessation The university shall make available to faculty, staff and students comprehensive tobacco usage cessation programs including no cost or low cost counseling and medication based solutions.