Find Your Ecological Footprint
What kind of impact do you have on the planet? Many websites will help you find out, and provide tips on how you can decrease your footprint. Here are two:
Your Energy Footprint
Find out how much energy you utilize from electronics alone:
Did You Know? Here’s How Long it Takes for Certain Products to Decompose
- Banana Peel: 3-4 weeks
- Paper Bag: 1 month
- Cardboard: 2 months
- Wool Sock: 1 year
- Tinned Steel Can: 50 years
- Aluminum Can: 200-500 years (But if recycled, it can be reused within 6 weeks!)
- Disposable Diapers: 550 years
- Plastic Bags : 20-1,000 years
- Plastic Jug: 1 million years
- Glass: 1-2 million years
- Styrofoam: 1+ million years
Facts About Good, Water Consumption and Land Usage
- Americans throw out 200,000 tons of edible food every day.
- On average, Americans use 159 gallons of water per day; while more than half the world’s population uses only 25 gallons.
- 1.7 billion people do not have access to clean drinking water.
- 80% of corn and 90% of oat production is fed to livestock.
- 56% of farmland is used for beef production
- 25 gallons of water are needed to produce a pound of wheat, and 5214 gallons to produce a pound of beef.
- 50% of wetlands, 90% of the northwestern old-growth forests, and 99% of the tall-grass prairie have been destroyed in the last 200 years.
- Daily, nine square miles of rural land are lost to development.