Cleveland State University

Student Life

Judicial Affairs

Frequently Asked Questions

As a public institution of higher education, Cleveland State University seeks to advance knowledge, promote scholarship and create an environment conducive to the intellectual and personal growth and development of all its students. In keeping with these aims, the University recognizes the following rights of students:

Nondiscrimination- Students have the right to be free from discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, age, disability or veteran's status.
Freedom of Expression- Students have the right of expression to the extent permitted by law and University regulations as summarized in the University Handbook and Student Handbook.
Freedom of Assembly- Students have the right to assemble, provided that the operation and functioning of the University is not disrupted, the movement of individuals is not restricted and the activity complies with applicable laws, statutes, University Rules and Regulations.
Due Process - Students have the right to be treated in an impartial and judicious manner by the University, as provided for by law and the University's policies and regulations.
Participation- Students have the right to establish and elect a democratic student government, to organize and join student organizations, and to be selected or appointed as members of appropriately designated University committees, in accordance with University regulations and procedures.
Redress of Grievances - Students have the right of access to copies of University regulations directly affecting them and to petition for the redress of grievances, within the University's grievance procedures.

All of the above rights can be exercised only in accordance with University regulations and federal, state and local laws, statutes, rules and regulations.

If you feel the need to make a complaint involving a violation of the Student Conduct Code, information on filing a complaint is available in the Office of Judicial Affairs. The complaint usually results in a formal charge which describes the incident or action and states the violation as it relates to the Code. This is the first stage of the judicial process.

Students accused of violating the code are given the right to answer to any formal charges during an impartial hearing. They are given the option between an Administrative hearing or a University Judicial Board hearing. The Administrative hearing is conducted by the Student Conduct Officer who is appointed by the Provost. The University Judicial Board hearing is conducted by seven students elected by the student body and two faculty members appointed by Faculty Senate. The President of the University has delegated the authority of these two entities to apply sanctions suitable for each case that warrants sanctioning.

Student conduct records are included as part of the academic record. The initial charge letter and all correspondences to the student are the initial records added to the file. Subsequent records would be materials submitted for the hearing and the tape recording of the hearing. All student conduct records are kept on file within the Office of Judicial Affairs and protected by FERPA (Federal Educational Rights Privacy Act).

WHERE CAN I GET A COPY OF THE Student Conduct Code?
You can either go to the Department of Student Life, MC 106 and ask for Valerie Hinton Hannah, Judicial Affairs Officer, to pick up a copy.