Cleveland State is pleased to support the popular U-Pass program. U-Pass allows all main campus students to ride free of charge on all Greater Cleveland RTA buses and rapid trains during each academic semester. The program was initiated in the Spring of 2003, supported by a vote of the student body, renewed in Spring 2005 and again in Spring 2009. The University administers the U-Pass program according to the policies passed by student referendum and based on the agreement between CSU and the Regional Transit Authority.
The following students are not eligible to participate in the U-Pass program: students who take classes at only the West campus, students enrolled in only web based classes, Project 60 students and PSEOP students.
NO NEED TO STAND IN LINE TO PICK UP YOUR U-PASS!
All eligible students will receive U-Pass stickers via U.S. Mail to the address on file with the University Registrarís office once their enrollment is confirmed.
- You must be a student enrolled in one or more academic credit hours on CSU’s main Downtown campus.
- Your student account should be paid in full or you should be enrolled in a Budget Payment Plan.
- U-Pass sticker should be placed on your Viking Card ID in the lower left or upper right hand corner. Do not cover your photo, ID number or name. Do not place the U-Pass on the back of your Viking ID.
Policies and Regulations
- A $25 U-Pass fee is automatically added to each student’s account to support the U-Pass program. This fee is assessed each semester.
- Enrolled students will receive a new U-Pass sticker every semester.
- A replacement U-Pass sticker can be obtained at the Cashier’s Office. If the sticker was lost while attached to a Viking Card, the cost of a new Viking Card ID is $20.00.
- The cost of the U-Pass cannot be used to offset your parking hangtag.
- The U-Pass program generates no revenue for the University, as a result, University personnel do not have the authority to waive the fee or make special exceptions.
Benefits to Students
- The cost of a U-Pass has remained constant for the past four years. The program has been renewed through 2013 and the negotiated cost will be held at $25.
- All CSU students share the benefits of the U-Pass program - a lessened demand for on-campus parking as students choose to take public transportation and a cost savings for those students who directly participate in the U-Pass ridership program.
- All students taking “for credit” courses on the main campus are eligible to utilize the U-Pass program. You can use RTA transit to travel on all routes anytime throughout Cuyahoga County, including downtown, to the airport, to a ball game, etc. Your utilization of the U-Pass program is not limited to only University related activities.
Commuter Advantage for Faculty and Staff
This program allows eligible Faculty and Staff to purchase RTA monthly bus passes via payroll deduction. The payroll deduction option means that the expense for the pass will be paid with pre-tax dollars and can provide employees with a tax benefit of up to $200 per year. You also have the convenience the automatic payment for the pass.
Sign up for Commuter Advantage. Click here for more information about the RTA Commuter Advantage program.