Frequently Asked Questions

  1. I want to work as a counselor. Will I be able to do that once I complete a master's degree in clinical psychology?
    No. Since Master's level graduates are not eligible for a psychology license in Ohio, they must work under the supervision of a doctoral level licensed psychologist, typically as a psychology assistant. Psychology assistants typically engage in assessment, evaluation, or research activities, and less frequently in counseling or therapy activities. Graduates from psychology master's programs are not eligible for licensure as a counselor in the state of Ohio; only graduates of counseling programs from departments of Education are eligible for this license. If you are interested in a career as a counselor, you should investigate the graduate programs available in the Cleveland State College of Education and Human Services.
  2. If I choose the practitioner track, does that mean that I shouldn't apply to doctoral programs after I graduate?
    No. Many of our graduates have been accepted into Psy.D. (Doctor of Psychology) programs, even if they did not complete a thesis. A Psy.D. program, unlike a Ph.D. program, emphasizes clinical experience and knowledge of psychological interventions over research experience.
  3. Will I be able to transfer credits from the Master's program to a doctoral program?
    Yes, although the actual number that are accepted by the doctoral program varies considerably. Most of our graduates who enter doctoral programs at other institutions do so with 40 to 85% of the Cleveland State credits accepted as transfer credits.
  4. Could I be accepted into a doctoral program without completing a thesis?
    Yes. Psy.D. programs have accepted several of our graduates from the practitioner track.
  5. Can I complete the Master's program as a part-time student?
    No. The program is designed for full-time students only. Most courses are held during the day.
  6. I am interested in applying for the program next year. May I take courses as a non-degree graduate student?
    Yes. Students may take up to 12 credits as a non-degree student. Many courses are reserved for program-only students; however, several courses are available to non-degree students with the permission of the instructor. Only 12 non-degree credits will be counted toward completion of the master's degree.
  7. I completed graduate psychology courses at another institution. Will these courses be accepted as transfer credits for the Master's degree at Cleveland State?
    It depends. Transfer credits are reviewed by a committee of program faculty on a case by case basis. Factors such as the match of the course with the Clinical curriculum, the year the course was completed, and the grade received are considered prior to approving the credits for transfer.