Perhaps you know a dentist you respect and admire? Or was it the great feeling you got from volunteering at an animal shelter? Maybe it is the thrill of complex research and finding an elusive medical cure?
Something led you to consider a career in medicine, pharmacy, dentistry or veterinary medicine. Cleveland State University can assist you on your way to exploring your future. Cleveland State provides a number of opportunities for engaged learning through acclaimed academic programs with the advantages of small classes and a diverse student body in a vibrant urban setting. Cleveland State prepares undergraduate and post-baccalaureate students for further study in the professions of Medicine, Pharmacy, Dentistry and Veterinary Medicine.
Pre-professional students at Cleveland State have access to meaningful, hands-on learning:
- The Center for Gene Regulation in health and Disease, which focuses on exploring the genetic molecular causes, prevention, and treatment of disease.
- The Center for 21st Century Health Professions, which prepares high-quality health care and bioscience industry professionals for Northeast Ohio to ensure excellent care for its citizens.
- A Gross Anatomy course featuring human cadavers, not typically available in undergraduate coursework.
- Researchers investigating a wide array of topics such as cancer, birth defects, mental health, animal behavior, pharmacology, drug metabolism, and alternative medicine.
Undergraduate Pre-professional Application
On your Cleveland State University application found in the Undergraduate tab of Admissions:
- Indicate College of Sciences and Health Professions AND your intended major. If you are still undecided about a major, then indicate that and Cleveland State will offer you support in deciding. You will not receive a bachelor's degree in Pre-Medicine, Pre-Pharmacy, Pre-Dentistry, etc. For this reason you must indicate your major. For instance you can be a Psychology/Pre-Medicine major. This simply means that you wish to pursue a bachelor's degree in psychology while ensuring you take all of the courses necessary for admission to medical school.
- Indicate Pre-Medicine, Pre-Pharmacy, Pre-Dentistry or Pre-Veterinary Medicine on your application.
Pre-professional advising is coordinated by the College of Sciences and Health Professions. Without identifying yourself as a pre-professional student, you will not be assigned a pre-professional advisor in the College of Sciences and Health Professions. Your pre-professional advisor will be familiar with the sequence of science classes you’ll need for professional school admission. For more information on how advising is structured see Advising Center.
Post-Baccalaureate Pre-professional Application
Post-baccalaureate students are those who have already completed an undergraduate degree at Cleveland State or elsewhere. Professional schools are seeking qualified applicants who have some life experience beyond college and are embarking on a career change. Cleveland State offers a very affordable post-baccalaureate program and we want to help you reach your goal of further study in medicine, dentistry, pharmacy, or veterinary medicine. For more detailed information about our post-baccalaureate program refer Post-Baccalaureate Option.
- Indicate Post-baccalaureate Pre-medicine, or pharmacy, or etc. on your application, see Apply. Although you have completed an undergraduate degree, you will still be taking undergraduate courses and paying for them at the undergraduate rate. Indicate on your application that you are pursuing a second degree in the pre-professional program listed in the drop-down menu (even though CSU doesn’t confer degrees in these programs. Registering as a graduate student can affect your tuition costs and your financial aid status. Applications can be done online, by mail, or by contacting the Admissions Office. Do not send transcripts to the College of Sciences and Health Professions. Have transcripts mailed to Cleveland State University, Office of the University Registrar, ATTN: Degree Audit, 2121 Euclid Ave (KB 1400), Cleveland, OH 44115-2214. Post-baccalaureate pre-professional students at Cleveland State are considered to be degree-seeking, so financial aid might be available. Contact our Financial Aid Office to learn more and determine if you qualify for financial aid.
- Refer to the Program Guides for specific course information.
Special Note to International Students Intending to Study Medicine
It is extremely difficult for international applicants who are not citizens or permanent residents of the United States to gain admission to U.S. medical schools. State-supported medical schools rarely consider international applicants for admission, and those private schools that do accept applications generally require that international students place in escrow an amount ranging from one to four years’ tuition and fees (in excess of USD 40,000–200,000). Additionally, professional schools accepting international applicants generally require that pre-professional coursework be completed in the U.S. International applicants considering a career as a medical doctor are advised that upon completing their Cleveland State education, options for admission to a U.S. medical school may be limited.