The course requirements for veterinary school vary by school, so it is highly recommended that a student make an appointment with the Pre-Veterinary advisor prior to enrolling in any prerequisites for veterinary school. A pre-professional advisor will review your plans, your progress and discuss future courses of action. Contact Brittany Wampler, Coordinator of Pre-Professional Health Programs with questions or to schedule an advising appointment, 216.687.9321.
Cleveland State Undergraduate courses
The list below provides a guideline for courses that many schools require. Students are responsible for researching the prerequisite courses required by the schools they plan to apply to and subsequently taking those courses.
- BIO 200/201 Intro to Biology I with lab
- BIO 202/203 Intro to Biology II with lab
- BIO 310/311 Genetics with recitation
- BIO 264/265 or 416/417 Microbiology with lab
- CHM 261/266 General Chemistry I with lab
- CHM 262/267 General Chemistry II with lab
- CHM 331/336 Organic Chemistry I with lab
- CHM 332/337 Organic Chemistry II with lab
- PHY 221/222 or 231/232 College Physics I/II with labs or Physics with Biomedical Applications I/II with labs
- ENG 101/102 English Composition I and II
For detailed descriptions of these and other courses, refer to the Cleveland State University Undergraduate Catalog.
For specific information about individual veterinary school course prerequisites, consult one of the schools listed at American Association for Veterinary Medical Colleges.