Parking Strategic Partnership - Discussion on the Central Garage related to the potential agreement. The items below reference the starting point for discussions which received various stakeholder feedback. Final decisions on the RFP materials involved additional conversations and negotiations with the University administration, external consultants, and third-party parking companies.
General: In exchange for an upfront payment, the Operator shall be given exclusive rights to operate, maintain and upgrade the CSU Parking System for a period of 50 years in accordance with the terms and conditions set forth in the Project Agreement.
CENTRAL GARAGE OVERVIEW
- The Central Garage was constructed in 1979
- There are approximately 862 parking spaces
- Central Garage is bound by East 21st Street, East 19th Street, Chester Avenue, and the Music/Communications Building
- The garage has 770 spaces for permits, 64 spaces for daily customers, 24 handicap spaces, and 4 reserved spaces
- The facility is nearing the end of life and the University it interested in replacing the structure
- The estimated construction cost for a similar facility exceed $25,000,000-30,000,000, not including financing costs and other obligations
- Parking as an Auxiliary Service will need to fund the project without University or State support
- The agreement will require the consortium to be the responsible party for the demolition of the Central Garage and the construction of a replacement facility
discussion FEEDBACK - questions to consider for developing the rfp
- What is the timing of the construction and will we "lose" the spaces during the construction?
- Related to the Master Plan, will the Central Garage replacement be in the same location?
- Who controls the design and standards of the construction process?
- Will the replacement facility be "green friendly" facility? Will there be sustainability efforts in the design?
- Will the replacement facility be larger than the current Central Garage?
- Who is responsible for making sure the Central Garage remains safe while it is still operational?
- Will the rates be more expensive since this is a newly constructed facility?
- Will the procedures for parking change? Will I still use my Viking ID to get in and out?