Cleveland State University

the Center for Teaching Excellence

Faculty Handbook

Go back to index

Faculty Resources

Information Services and Technology


Your answer to all things technology and computer-related should start with the Information Services and Technology Department ( Generally, your first step with any technology/computer-related need or problem will be to call the IS&T Call Center to seek initial advice (216-687-5050). IT Services offered also include an online information service, "AskIT Knowledge Base" ( where the Department not only stores frequently asked questions but also makes an attempt to answer any questions you may have with your computer. Answer topics range from computer hardware, software, and network/internet to most any other topic pertaining to your PC or Macintosh.

Teaching Resources

In addition, pod-casting service is available if you desire to make your course material or lectures available in this format ( Also, the TurningPoint Student Response System (the "clicker") is a wireless system that allows instructors to ask questions of the class and receive responses via hand-held remote devices. Student responses are recorded through a receiver attached to the instructor's workstation, and responses can be graded, summarized, and shown to the class in real-time or saved for later viewing (

Computer Service

It is important to backup and save all your work. IS&T provides to each faculty member, at no cost, a one gigabyte storage space on the University Campus Drive; these files are available anytime and anywhere via the web ( However, this Campus Drive is not appropriate for files containing sensitive information (covered by University policies, Family Education Rights and Privacy Act, Health Insurance Portability Protection act, and other federal and state laws). IS&T can provide backup storage that is secure, often on the V (Viking) Drive. Contact the Call Center at 216-687-5050 to make requests for either of these backup storage options. In addition, if server hardware is necessary for faculty member research purposes, this hardware purchase (though not payment for it) and coordination can be arranged through IS&T.

Faculty member computer needs (desktop or laptop; PC or Macintosh) are provided by the University and serviced through IS&T. This process necessitates that faculty work through their department/school with IS&T to purchase the appropriate computer with the outside vendor who is contracted with the University (see the shopping configurations at Computers are normally replaced every four years. In addition, IS&T manages your desktop computer upgrades and services automatically while you are "plugged into" the University Campus system; this system is called "Managed Desktop."

Integrated Media Systems & Services

Integrated Media Systems & Services (IMSS) assists faculty with the development, production, and use of media materials and facilities. IMSS is where faculty receive instructional equipment for their classrooms, for example a laptop and projector. Its experienced staff work closely with faculty members to plan and develop quality materials for the enhancement of teaching. IMSS also provides cutting-edge equipment and facilities for the following: video streaming; production services including video, mediasite (, graphics, audio, and multi-media options (; media equipment loan (; and distance learning technologies ( For assistance with any of these services or technologies contact IMMS directly (

Campus 411

Campus411 is an excellent resource for students, and, at times for faculty. It is a one-stop student services center that can assist with any questions regarding admissions, academic records, financial aid, registration, and student accounts. In addition, this office provides referral services to other necessary or requested University offices. An expanded list of these services is available (, and is a useful resource for faculty who are also student advisors. The Campus411 Office is located in the Main Classroom main lobby (Room #116).

Viking Card/Viking Cash

The Viking Card is the official identification card for University students, faculty, and staff. The card is the means to building and lab access, testing centers, sporting events, library privileges, meal plans, Vikingcash, vending machines, and other University activities. Vikingcash is an on-line spending account run through your Viking Card with no interest or transaction fees. It lets you use your University ID like a debit card for convenient, secure purchases at CSU. Vikingcash balances stay in the Viking Card account from semester to semester and year to year while registered at the University. To receive your Viking Card, simply take your Human Resources documentation of faculty hiring status with you, along with a Photo ID (state driver's license, passport, military ID), to Main Classroom Room #112 (main lobby). The process takes just a few moments and you will receive your card at that time (

Security and Access Cards

Your Viking Card can also serve, once upgraded, as a security and access card to certain University buildings ( This card is called a Viking Prox Card and requires department or school permission to apply and obtain ( You should coordinate this process with your department or school administrative staff to follow the correct procedure. Once obtained, to enter areas for which you have authorization, just hold up your card to the reader - you may be able to use the card from inside a holder, wallet or purse without removing it. The light on the proximity reader will turn from red to green signifying that access has been granted and the door will unlock. Use of your Prox Card provides faculty access to offices and laboratory space even when buildings are closed. It is highly recommended that you determine the location of the relevant Prox Card-equipped door(s) and confirm the proper function of your Prox Card before you experience an urgent need for after-hours access.


Because the University is located in an urban area, traffic can be heavy at times, and parking is usually in high demand during peak hours. Some members of the campus community use bicycles for their commute, which requires a high tolerance for riding in city environments but eliminates both gasoline and parking costs, works wonders for personal fitness, and reduces an individual's carbon footprint. Faculty bicyclists can make arrangements to shower and change in the gym (through the Fitness for Life program) or the Recreation Center (through membership).

A larger number of individuals use public transit. The University is located immediately next to the Stephanie Tubbs Jones Transit Center that serves as a hub for Cleveland Regional Transit Authority (RTA) busses. Quite a few of the major commuter bus routes pass directly through the campus, including major Park 'N Ride lots that allow commuters to park in satellite lots close to outlying communities. Rapid transit trains all converge on Tower City Center, which is a short ride on the free "E" line trolley from the campus. While not quite as "green" as bicycling, public transit is safer, eliminates the stress of driving in city traffic, and is highly cost-effective in that it does away with the cost of fuel and parking. The trade-off is generally a slightly longer commuting time. More information about Cleveland's Regional Transit Authority can be found at , and printed bus schedules may be found in a rack on the plaza level of the University Student Center.

An additional option is the University's ZipCar Program. The Program currently includes a two vehicles that can be rented by the hour or day, with pre-paid convenience, and can be parked and returned to Lot CC on campus (between the Music & Communications Building and Euclid Avenue). This program went live in August 2011, and more information is available at .


Faculty parking is available throughout the campus (, and directions to the campus are straightforward ( While street parking (pay by meter) is available on most streets surrounding the University, reliance on this option is difficult; using the faculty/staff/student parking lots is much more accessible. To do so faculty members must purchase a vehicle hangtag and have it displayed at all times (the parking lot monitors are very efficient in their ticketing process). You may purchase a prepaid hangtag that allows parking without daily pay or a hangtag that requires a daily rate be paid. You may register your vehicle and receive a hangtag from Parking Services located the Chester Building Annex, #128, or online through CampusNet ( You must have your University ID Number to register your vehicle ( Rates for hangtags vary depending on need ( If you lack a campus hangtag, the alternative to metered parking on street is to park at the Wolstein Center parking garage, which does not require a hangtag and will allow you to pay with cash or credit card upon exit. Be aware that campus parking is in short supply during peak times during the week, and that you may need to make alternative arrangements (take the RTA bus, arrive on campus early, carpool) at these times.

Recreation Center

The University built a new recreation center in 2007, offering a large array of fitness-, exercise-, and health-related options for faculty and their families ( Membership rates vary depending on your faculty appointment status (full-time, part-time), and spouses/partners qualify for reduced rates ( Locker rentals and other amenity services are available to members ( If you plan to commute to campus via bicycle, the Recreation Center is recommended as the best place on campus to park your bike, shower, and change.

Fitness for Life Program

The Fitness for Life Program is available to faculty members in support of their physical (and mental) well-being. This year-long program (though you can be involved indefinitely) provides individual exercise program recommendations based on evaluations of physical fitness, safe group exercise tailored to each individual, and general information about physical fitness. Individuals joining for the first time receive physiological measurements at the beginning and the end of the year. Tests include sub-maximal graded exercise (stress) tests, measurements of body composition, flexibility, muscular strength, lung capacity, appraisal of health risks, and blood analyses. The program has classroom sessions once a month, supervised exercise sessions during the week, and a regular newsletter. For more information, contact Dr. Ken Sparks (

<< Go back

Go back to index

engaged learning
Mailing Address
Cleveland State University
Center for Teaching Excellence
Main Classroom Building Room 212
2121 Euclid Avenue
Cleveland, OH 44115-2214
Campus Location
Main Classroom Building
Room MC 212
This site contains files that require the free Adobe Reader to view.