Cleveland State University

the Center for Teaching Excellence

Faculty Handbook

Go back to index

Faculty Resources


Subject Librarians

The Michael Schwartz library has a librarian assigned to each department. Faculty members who would like discipline-specific assistance from the library may contact their department's librarian for direct support.
See for a list of subject librarians, and for other library information intended for faculty use.


The OhioLink Library Catalog ( is an excellent resource for faculty members (and students). It provides access to 44 million volumes and more than 100 research databases at more than 85 public and private campuses, at no charge. This consortium was the first of its kind in the United States. Registered borrowers, which include all faculty members with library privileges, have the ability to request items electronically while searching the Central Catalog ( and may indicate at which University library they wish to pick up the requested items. A delivery service among member institutions speeds the exchange of material, which take not more than three (3) to five (5) days for normal delivery. OhioLink's Electronic Journal Center ( provides full text of several thousand journals from major academic publishers, and its Digital Media Center ( provides online access to images, sounds, video, numeric data, and other media information. Due to copyright restrictions, users may need to provide an active University Identification (CSU ID) number and other login information to access the electronic research databases, the EJC, and the DMC from off-campus locations. To set up off-campus access to these services you will need to establish a separate Library pass code (

Electronic Course Reserve

Electronic Course Reserve (ECR; makes reserve materials accessible at all times from computers with Internet access. The library follows all copyright laws and will instruct faculty members on limitations imposed on ECR requests. Faculty guidelines for placing material on ECR are available ( and allow electronic, hardcopy, and audio recording material to be made available to your students in a relatively short period of time. If submitting electronic documents or providing citations for articles to be linked from the Library's Electronic Journal Center, you can email them to the appropriate Library contact person submitting your request electronically using the Faculty Request for Article or Book Chapter to be Placed on Reserve form ( If submitting hardcopy of articles or book chapters for scanning by library staff, faculty should deliver this material to either of the Library's two ECR drop off locations: the User Services Desk on the 1st floor or the Digital Production Unit on the 8th floor (807) including an ECR Request Form ( with the material. If submitting audio recording material, faculty delivers this material to the same location(s) along with the ECR Request form for Audio Materials ( Two things are important in this process: 1) items should be identified for posting on ECR in the same manner/format as in the syllabus; and, 2) if submitting near the beginning of a semester, be sure to allow additional time for this process completion and availability to students. Faculty may also submit requests for Michael Schwartz Library books or their own personal copies be placed on physical book reserve by submitting an online Faculty Request for a Book to be Placed on Reserve form (

Document Delivery Plus

Document Delivery Plus provides faculty members a "library to office door" delivery and retrieval of ordered material, which is available to all faculty who have on-campus offices ( You must first register for this service by completing the online registration form ( and then when using the service for the first time create a user profile ( in the ILLiad (inter-library loan) system. You may have a department/school staff member sign for delivered items when you are not in your office.

Use of Instructional Material/Copyright Infringement

The Michael Schwartz Library and The Center for E-Learning make a number of educational resources available to assist faculty in determining proper use of copyrighted material for their courses. It is the responsibility of the faculty member to comply with U.S. Copyright Law when using book chapters, journal articles, and multimedia posted on the Library's Electronic Course Reserve or University Blackboard systems. The Michael Schwartz Library reserves the right to refuse to copy and/or post any materials that clearly appear to be in violation of the U.S. Copyright Law. Links to sources of relevant copyright law and guidelines are available on the Library's Virtual Reference Desk Copyright Resources page (

Center for Teaching Excellence

The University Center for Teaching Excellence (CTE) is located in Room 212 of the Main Classroom building. Its stated purpose is to help the faculty of all levels in all disciplines teach better. It offers a variety of professional development workshops during the academic year, administers a "Teaching Enhancement Award" small grants program, and conducts a teaching portfolio seminar every spring semester. Also, it provides a small quantity of instructional equipment for faculty use. Consultation is available for faculty members who have instructional concerns. For more information about the CTE, contact Dr. William Beasley ( or 216-687-5583).

Student Assistance

Writing Center

The Writing Center ( is available to University students. The Center offers writing support and editing by experienced professionals, and can offer valuable assistance in writing, organizing, and editing student work.

Math Learning Center

The Math Learning Center is available to University students for tutoring of general education math course work. Appointments and walk-ins are welcome (

Tutoring and Academic Success Center

The Tutoring and Academic Success Center provides academic assistance to University students in a supportive learning environment. A staff of dedicated peer tutors provides free out-of-class assistance in a wide variety of, though not all, subject areas (

Counseling Center

The Counseling Center offers academic, career, and personal counseling, consultation and outreach programming, training, group facilitation, and other services aimed at helping individuals and groups who are members of the campus community meet their respective personal and professional goals (

Student Academic Advising

Student academic advising is provided by each of the Colleges/Schools for their declared majors. These College/School advisors meet with students early and often in their academic career to make sure they are on track to meet the General Education course requirements ( as well as their specific major course requirements. Faculty members should work with and consult their College Advising Office whenever advising students.

Student Petitions Process

It has long been received wisdom at CSU that "anything is petitionable", meaning that a student may formally request an exception to almost any standing rule or policy (of course, whether or not that exception will be granted in a given case is another issue entirely). The petition process can be complicated, and one into which new faculty members should venture only with care and trepidation. Here are a few basic principles.

In most undergraduate situations, advising offices sponsor petitions, and help students draft language appropriate to the individual case. Each College or School has its own advising office, in addition to the exploratory advisors who assist students who have not yet declared a major. Here's a list of the undergraduate advising offices, current as of this writing, with contact information:

Ahuja College of Business

Location: BU #219


College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences

Location: CB #279


College of Education and Human Services

Location: EB #170


Fenn College of Engineering

Location: SH #104


College of Sciences and Health Professions

Location: #MC218B


Levin College of Urban Affairs

Location: #UB205


School of Nursing

Location: #JH238


Petitions are filed at levels corresponding to the rule being petitioned. The lowest level petitions are departmental rules (such as rules defining the requirements for a specific major). Requests for exceptions at this level are often resolved informally and may not require an actual petition. If the rule exists at a College level, it requires a College level petition, which will be processed by a College level petitions committee. A good example of this petition is a College requirement that all majors within that College complete a particular course. If the rule exists at a University level, it will require a petition at the University level, and that petition will be processed by a University level petitions committee. A classic example of this situation is a request to waive a General Education ("GenEd") requirement.

In the case of graduate students, all petitions go through the Graduate College; if you have a student in that situation, contact the graduate program coordinator in your area rather than a student advising office. The Graduate College petitions process includes first petitioning the Graduate Program Committee which acts on such requests and informs the student, the University Registrar, and the Dean of the College of Graduate Studies of its decision. Petitions concerning University and College of Graduate Studies requirements and regulations should be initiated through the graduate program advisor and graduate committee for recommendation. They are then forwarded to the Petitions Committee of the College of Graduate Studies for action. Once the College of Graduate Studies committee makes a decision, the student, the program advisor, and the program director are notified, and a notation is placed on the student's academic record. Before filing a petition with the College of Graduate Studies, the student should thoroughly review all applicable regulations, so that the presentation is complete and accurate. Crucial point: a petition is a complicated matter. Don't make promises to students about petitions if you are unsure of the territory. Talk to the advisors in your College, talk to your chair, and talk to the program coordinators in your area before declaring to a student that a particular issue can be resolved with a petition.

Catalog Rights

The year a student first enrolls in the University represents the Catalog under which his/her graduation requirements must be met; there are both undergraduate ( and graduate catalogs ( Note that the page opens to the undergraduate catalog, the graduate catalog can be opened through the dropdown menu found in the upper right-hand corner of the page. While the catalog is updated every two years, reflecting the modifications throughout the Colleges and School, "Catalog rights" (as they are referred to) attach to the student according to his/her first enrolled term. This right means, for example, if a student entered the University (and remained a student in good standing) in fall 2009, then that era Catalog (2009-2010) provides the University and major requirements that must be met. Subsequent Catalog revisions do not amend nor change this student's course of study requirements.

  • screenshot

International Studies (Fulbright Scholars)

The Fulbright Program promotes educational exchanges, primarily for university faculty and students that involve lecturing, research, and graduate study. Over 40,000 United States faculty members have taken up positions abroad for a semester or longer, and an equal number of international faculty have come to the United States. Cleveland State University ranks near the top of national lists for number of Fulbright Scholars.

The program is administered by the Council for the International Exchange of Scholars foundation (CIES;; with Fulbright programs receiving approximately $120 million in annual Congressional appropriations. In addition, a number of participating international governments contribute an additional $30 million or so annually. CIES is assisted in its activities in individual countries either by bi-national commissions or by the Public Affairs Section of the United States embassy in individual countries.

The Fulbright Program ( has two faculty options, the Traditional Fulbright Scholars Program and the Fulbright Senior Specialists Program ( If you are interested in gathering information on these Programs or applying (, contact the University Fulbright Program Office (, and in particular George Burke, our faculty Fulbright Representative (


CampusNet is a faculty member's access point for many different activities. A faculty member can do the following from this site ( view scheduled class rosters (including pictures) and process course grades; update personal information and emergency contact information; forward your email and change passwords; and, if advising students, access necessary student transcript and schedule information. Also, regarding undergraduate student advisement, there is an "Alert" button next to each student's name in your class roster. Whenever you have a concern that a student is in need of assistance because they are not performing up to expectations in your course you can click on this Alert button. A note is then sent to the College Advising Office (and directly to the student's academic counselor) to immediately follow up on and reach out to the student.

Campus Directory

All university faculty and staff can be easily found by using the Campus Directory ( You can search the "University Yellow Pages" by name or department.

Campus Mailbag

Campus Mailbag is an electronic system for sharing information across the University. Faculty members receive on a regular basis an email link to this one-stop location for current event, news, and announcements across the campus. You may also post information to Campus Mailbag that you want shared in this campus-wide fashion. To do so, contact your department chair, school director, or Dean's Office directly.


Every faculty member has an account on the campus e-mail system. Faculty (and students) who prefer to forward their Cleveland State e-mail to another e-mail address can do so in CampusNet or by contacting the Call Center (216-687-5050). For help accessing your e-mail, changing passwords, or other concerns, contact the Call Center or link to E-mail is available from any networked PC, anywhere. Access to your e-mail is available from the Campus Email link on the Cleveland State home page or by going directly to If you prefer, you can also access your e-mail via Outlook, Outlook Express, Mac Mail, or other e-mail clients. Instructions for using these clients are available from the IS&T University Email resource page at Be aware that a professional-looking email return address (e.g. rather than can be an asset in communicating with students.


Go back to index

engaged learning
Mailing Address
Cleveland State University
Center for Teaching Excellence
Main Classroom Building Room 212
2121 Euclid Avenue
Cleveland, OH 44115-2214
Campus Location
Main Classroom Building
Room MC 212
This site contains files that require the free Adobe Reader to view.