Cleveland State University

Award Management

Initiating Charges to Sponsored Program Accounts

Note: Before initiating charges, please review “Allowable and Non-Allowable Charges” and specific guidelines set forth by the sponsor to determine if an expense is allowable.

  • Non-Salary Charges

    1. Purchase Requisition

      The Purchase Requisition (PR) is used to order supplies, laboratory items, equipment, wire payments, reserve hotels, conference prepayment and other miscellaneous items costing $1,000 or more. Purchase Requisitions are processed through the University's Purchasing Department. Continuous Orders are also set up using a PR. Purchase Requisitions are sent directly to the Purchasing Department. The federal government requires that purchases charged to federal sponsored projects be made through an approved procurement system. Purchases that are not made through this system are subject to disallowance. An authorized signor must approve the purchase requisition. (Check with your dean or director’s office for guidance on signature authority in your unit).

    2. Small Order Form

      This form is used to make payment on supplies, laboratory items, and other miscellaneous items in which the total cost does not exceed $1,000. This form gives the PI flexibility to order items directly. An authorized signor must approve the small order form.

    3. Statement of Travel Expense

      This form is used to obtain pre-approval for travel, pre-payments for travel and to obtain post-travel reimbursement for approved expenses. An authorized signor must approve the travel expense form. Travel is an allowable charge to a sponsored project provided it is project related, and it is in accordance with sponsored guidelines. This form requires the signature of both the traveler, and the traveler's supervisor. Most sponsors that permit travel do so in accordance with the University's policy. Refer to University policy and your award’s terms and conditions prior to travel to determine allowable expenses or restrictions (

    4. Petty Cash Request Form

      This form is used to receive immediate reimbursement for expenses of $100 or less. Two signers are required: the person receiving the cash reimbursement and an authorized individual. This form must be accompanied by purchase receipts.

    5. Journal Entry

      This form is used to correct non-salary charges and to transfer charges to the appropriate account. If an expense is transacted after 90 days of the expense, appropriate back up and explanation are required. The date and account of origin MUST be included. Transfer requests are submitted to the OGA.

    6. Charge memos

      These are charges from CSU departments for auxiliary services such as printing, animal research facility services, library services, the bookstore, food services, IMS, Central Stores, duplicating, postage, phone, conference services, etc. The manner in which these charges are initiated can vary according to college/department procedures. Check with the area fiscal officer for more information. These charges may also be transferred using a Journal Entry request.

  • Salary Charges

    Any employee (including students) who will be working entirely or partially on a sponsored program must have their pay established by one of the following mechanisms:

    1. Standard contract;
    2. Personnel Action Worksheet (PAW);
    3. Special Payment Form (used to process one-time payments when the amount is small and the period of time over which services are performed is short; check with the OGA and/or the Payroll Department for guidance)
    4. Salary Voucher (students, temporaries);
    5. Graduate Assistantship Contract;
    6. Journal Entry, and
    7. Release Time form.

    Timely review of the account’s Gift and Grant Report is critical to ensure expenses are charged properly. (See Section IX “CSU Financial Reports” for guidance).

engaged learning
Mailing Address
Cleveland State University
Sponsored Programs and Research
2121 Euclid Avenue
Parker Hannifin Hall, 2nd Floor
Cleveland, OH 44115-2214
Campus Location
Parker Hannifin Hall, 2nd Floor
2258 Euclid Avenue
Phone: 216.687.3630
Fax: 216.687.9382

This site contains files that require the free Adobe Reader to view.