Cleveland State University

Career Services Center

Cooperative Education

Frequently Asked Questions

Can I join the Co-op program even if I haven't chosen a major?
Yes you can. You don't have to declare a major to be a Co-op student. As a matter of fact, we encourage students to join the program in their Sophomore year. This is when many haven't even chosen let alone declared a major. The CSC 121 Career Orientation class along with career counseling may help make this decision a little clearer.

Do I have to work for the same company until I graduate?
No, it's not required to work with only one employer. Some students will work for only one co-op employer provided both the student and company are satisfied with each other. However, other students will co-op with as many as four or five different employers. A little side note: Many Co-op students got job offers from their Co-op employers at the time of graduation.

What if I change majors?
This is more typical an occurrence than people think. Some students use their Co-op assignment to see if the career or major they chose is right for them. For some, they find out that their decision wasn't what they expected and will change majors. It's better to find out while you're in school rather than wait until you graduate. If you do change majors, you may be assigned a new coordinator. However, it won't affect your eligibility as a Co-op student.

Do the Career Coordinators get me a job?
The role of your coordinator is not to find you a job. He or she is there to coach, teach, listen, and advise. Your coordinator will send your resume to companies looking for Co-op students, but you're the one who has to go on the interview and get the job.

What's the difference between Co-op and Internship?
Basically, there's not much difference between the two. Both are opportunities for you to gain valuable job experience. Some companies may have an internship program that we at Cleveland State would call a Co-op. Typically the only difference is that Internships are usually unpaid and Co-op assignments are paid. Additionally, you can sometimes earn academic credit for internships that can count toward graduation requirements.

What if I'm a transfer student?
Transfer students are eligible for the Co-op program. Some transfer students have Co-op assignments from their old college and want to know if it can count as an assignment here. The answer is YES. You will have to talk to your coordinator about the other requirements on a case by case basis.

How do I get involved with the Co-op Program?
It's easy! Call, email or visit us at:

Career Services Center
2121 Euclid Avenue, RW 280
Cleveland, OH 44115
(216) 687-2233
engaged learning
Office Hours
Monday-Thursday 7:30am-6:00pm
Friday 7:30am-5:00pm
Campus Location
Rhodes West, Room 280
1860 East 22nd Street
Phone: 216.687.2233
Toll Free: 888.CSUOHIO
Satellite Office
College of Urban Affairs, UR 209
Monday: 8:00am-6:00pm
Tuesday: 8:00am-5:00pm
Thursday: 8:00am-5:00pm
Mailing Address
Cleveland State University 2121
Euclid Avenue, RW 280
Cleveland, OH 44115-2214

This site contains files that require the free Adobe Reader to view.