encompasses the field that uses biological processes to develop or
manufacture a product. Applications have focused on utilizing gene
and protein mechanisms to cure and treat diseases. However, the tools
used to examine DNA in the search for new drugs are now used by many
- Pharamceutical companies use Biotechnology to research and design
drugs that more effectively treat illness or even prevent the onset
- Agricultural companies use Biotechnology to develop heartier crops.
- Food companies use Biotechnology to increase the nutritional content
- Chemical companies use Biotechnology to make plastic out of corn.
- Computer companies can model their programs after biological processes
that could function as self-organizing systems.
- Emerging Trends
- Industry Statistics
- More information can be found at the Council
for Biotechnology Information.