What is America Reads?
The Cleveland State University, Career Services Center America Reads program is a nationwide program that trains university students to work as literacy tutors for urban youth. This objective is achieved locally with the help of Cleveland State University students who tutor children on site at local area schools and libraries.
- Excellent starting wages at $8.00 an hour
- Flexible work hours 9:00 am - 7:00 pm Monday through Friday
- Gain valuable networking opportunities
- Develop skills to improve your resume and enrich your professional development
- Earn co-op experience on your college transcript
- Tutor in supportive learning settings including elementary schools, libraries, and after-school programs.
- Tutor in one-on-one or small group settings supported by experienced
teachers, librarians and professional staff.
“The students I tutor enjoy their time with me as much as I
enjoy being a tutor to them. I am so flattered by their desire to be tutored.
I have realized humility via the work and have gained a sense of the awesome
challenge of being an educator to these most deserving children.”
~ Elena Schilla
Tutor of the Year, 2004-2005
- Young Children build skills through individualized tutoring
during the school day and after school.
- CSU students are enriched personally and professionally by
the opportunity to participate in a national literacy movement.
- The community grows more aware of the concerns and importance
of literacy among young children through collaboration with
Cleveland State University.
tutors were a joy to have around and provided valuable service to our
children. The intervention provided by the tutors made the difference
in our students’ overall achievement.”
- Ms. Laverne Mclain
Marion Sterling Elementary
- Be a Cleveland State student enrolled for at least 6 credit-hours
- Non-Work Study or Work Study
- All Majors Eligible
- Good Academic Standing
- Preference given to students who can work both Fall ands Spring semesters
- Provide your own transportation to and
from tutoring sites
- Attend mandatory, paid training sessions
- Complete and return application form
(including essay on why you want to
tutor, a letter of reference, and agree to a
CURRENTLY ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS!
Download the application in Microsoft Word format. Applications are also available
in the Career Services Center, located in Rhodes Tower West, room 280.
Career Services Center
Cleveland State University
2121 Euclid Avenue
Rhodes Tower West 280
Cleveland, Ohio 44115