Tayler Drake of Glendale Primary School Reads 700 Books to Win Contest
Nearly 1,500 Northeast Ohio students read more than 75,000 books as part of Cleveland State University’s 50 Book Challenge.
Young bibliophiles in grades 3 and under were invited to read 50 books between September 2014 and May 2015, in celebration of CSU’s 50th anniversary. The contest was sponsored by the Center for Excellence and Innovation in Education, an outreach office of CSU’s College of Education and Human Services that provides services, resources and collaborative professional learning to area schools, districts and education-oriented programs.
Students who participated in the 50 Book Challenge marked their progress in reading journals that were submitted at the end of the academic year for recognition.
- Tayler Drake of Glendale Primary School in Bedford was the undisputed champion. She read 700 books. For her achievement, Tayler won tickets to Kalahari Waterpark.
- Tony Petrie of Notre Dame Elementary School in Chardon was the first student to read 50 books – as well as the first to cross the 100-book threshold. He won a family membership to Lake Metroparks Farmpark.
- Burton Elementary School in Burton had all eligible students complete the 50 Book Challenge to become the first 50 Book Champion School.
- Almira PreK–8 Academy was the first school in the Cleveland Metropolitan School District to have all eligible classes complete the 50 Book Challenge.
All 50 Book Champions received a backpack full of prizes. They also were eligible for a random prize drawing. The winners of the latter drawing were:
- Damien Brown of Glendale Primary School (Bedford): Kalahari Waterpark tickets
- John Fetterman of Burton Elementary School (Burton): iPad
- Jayla Gartrell of Glendale Primary School (Bedford): Cleveland Museum of Art family membership
- Michael Hill of St. Paul Lutheran School (Westlake): Cleveland Children’s Museum family membership
- Devin Jeffery of Campus International School (Cleveland): Great Lakes Science Center family membership
- Eleanore Loudon of St. Thomas More School (Brooklyn): Cleveland Botanical Garden family membership
- Billy Verbic of Ledgemont Elementary School (Thompson): Cleveland Museum of Natural History family membership
- Jaxson Zarzour of Burton Elementary School (Burton): Cleveland Zoo family membership
For a complete list of 50 Book Champion Classrooms, please visit the 50 Book Challenge website.