Robert C. Tucker, a founding partner and trial attorney in the Cleveland office of Tucker Ellis & West LLP, recently announced that he was stepping down as the firm’s managing partner. That post is now held by TEW partner Curtiss Isler, also a leading trial attorney.
In gratitude to Tucker for his contributions to building and expanding the Tucker Ellis firm, his law partners have found a novel way to say “thank you:” a scholarship in his name at Cleveland State University’s Cleveland-Marshall College of Law.
In accordance with Tucker’s wishes, the Robert C. Tucker Scholarship will award an annual $5,000 scholarship to a member of a specific pool of candidates: undergraduate students aspiring to careers in law who graduated from high schools in the Cleveland Metropolitan School District.
According to Cleveland-Marshall Dean Geoffrey S. Mearns, “Our law school and Bob Tucker’s law firm both have deep roots in Cleveland and share a historical commitment to community service. The Robert C. Tucker Scholarship acknowledges Bob Tucker’s personal dedication to educating the city’s youth and to creating resources that will enable accomplished students to become accomplished lawyers. We are indeed indebted to Bob’s colleagues at the firm for this inspiring way of saying ‘thank you’ to their founder and to an exemplary attorney.”
Robert C. Tucker has defended hundreds of cases brought against pharmaceutical companies in Ohio and a dozen other states. He is trial counsel throughout the Midwest for manufacturers of various products, drugs and devices, and he has tried cases to verdict in Florida, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Illinois, Minnesota, Wisconsin and Iowa, as well as in courts throughout Ohio. Moreover, he has been the national coordinating counsel for the defense of product liability and toxic tort cases brought in state and federal courts throughout the U.S.
Tucker Ellis & West LLP is a law firm built on longstanding client and professional relationships. TEW, with more than 130 attorneys, is a full-service firm that maintains offices in Cleveland, Columbus, Los Angeles and San Francisco. Its clients include a Fortune 250 list of national litigation clients, a majority of the largest insurance carriers in the world, national and international patent clientele, and business clients for whom the firm individually tailors client service teams.
Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, founded in 1897 as the Cleveland Law School, was the first law school in Ohio to admit women and one of the first to admit minorities. In 1946, the Cleveland Law School merged with the John Marshall School of Law, founded in 1916, to become the Cleveland-Marshall Law School. In 1969, the Law School joined Cleveland’s new public university as its sixth college and was renamed the Cleveland-Marshall College of Law of Cleveland State University. Early graduates of the College of Law laid the foundation for the legal profession in Northeast Ohio. Now in its 111th year, Cleveland-Marshall is preparing promising students to be America’s leaders in the 21st century in law, business, nonprofit agencies and government.
For more information on Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, visit www.law.csuohio.edu or call 216.687.6886.
# # #