University of Nevada Law School Associate Dean Ann McGinley’s scholarship focuses on hostile work environments created by various forms of harassment that courts may sometimes dismiss, such as men harassing women who hold traditionally male jobs and men and women harassing men who are not overtly heterosexual.
Professor McGinley is the law school’s 2008 Littler Mendelson Employment and Labor Law speaker. On March 26, she will discuss forms of employment harassment in a free public lecture at Cleveland-Marshall College of Law: “Masculinities, Gender Identity, and Harassment at Work.” Her lecture begins at 5:00 p.m. in the Moot Court Room of the law school on East 18th Street and Euclid Avenue and is approved for one free hour of Continuing Legal Education.
Before beginning her teaching career, Dean McGinley spent five years in private practice specializing in civil rights, employment rights, and commercial litigation. Among her many articles on gender and employment discrimination are Harassing “Girls” at the Hard Rock: Masculinities in Sexualized Environments, forthcoming in the UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS LAW REVIEW (2007), Harassment of Sex(y) Workers: Applying Title VII to Sexualized Industries in the YALE JOURNAL OF LAW AND FEMINISM (2006), and Discrimination in Our Midst: Law Schools’ Potential Liability for Employment Practices in the UCLA WOMEN’S LAW JOURNAL (2005). At the University of Nevada Boyd School of Law, she is the Associate Dean for Faculty Development and Research and the William S. Boyd Professor of Law. Her law degree is from the University of Pennsylvania Law School.
The Cleveland-Marshall College of Law Employment and Labor Law curriculum, Employment Law Clinic, and annual Employment and Labor Law Speakers Series address the concerns of employers and employees and issue that arise in both union and non-union workplaces.
Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, founded in 1897 as the Cleveland Law School, was the first law school in Ohio to admit women and one of the first to admit minorities. In 1946, the Cleveland Law School merged with the John Marshall School of Law, founded in 1916, to become the Cleveland-Marshall Law School. In 1969, the Law School joined Cleveland’s new public university as its sixth college and was renamed the Cleveland-Marshall College of Law of Cleveland State University. Early graduates of the College of Law laid the foundation for the legal profession in Northeast Ohio. Now in its 111th year, Cleveland-Marshall is preparing promising students to be America’s leaders in the 21st century in law, business, non-profit agencies, and government.
For more information on Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, go to www.law.csuohio.edu or call 216.687.6886.
# # #