What is Skype for Business?
Skype for Business gives you instant messaging (IM), audio and video calls, On-line Meetings, availability (presence) information, and sharing capabilities all from one, easy-to-use program.
Basic features of Skype for Business include:
- instant messaging
- Voice Over IP
- video conferencing inside the client software
Advanced features relate to integration with other Microsoft software:
- availability of contacts based on Microsoft Outlook contacts stored in a Microsoft Exchange Server
- users can retrieve contact lists from a local directory service such as Microsoft Exchange Server
- Microsoft Office can show if other people are working on the same document
- number of client types are available for Skype for Business, including mobile clients.
- uses SIP as the basis for its client communication protocol
- offers support for TLS and SRTP to encrypt and secure signaling and media traffic
- allows sharing files
Please note: Not all features noted above may be available on all clients.
Engage365 accounts, along with OneDrive, SharePoint, Skype, Office Pro-Plus and Office mobile, are activated / deactivated based upon an individual's current association with the university. Please refer to the Messaging Services page for information concerning address assignment and account eligibility to determine if you are eligible for this service.
Select here for information / documentation on accessing and using Skype