What is Lync?
Lync gives you instant messaging (IM), audio and video calls, Lync Meetings, availability (presence) information, and sharing capabilities all from one, easy-to-use program.
Basic features of Lync include:
- instant messaging
- Voice Over IP
- video conferencing inside the client software
Advanced features relate to integration with other Microsoft software:
- availability of contacts based on Microsoft Outlook contacts stored in a Microsoft Exchange Server
- users can retrieve contact lists from a local directory service such as Microsoft Exchange Server
- Microsoft Office can show if other people are working on the same document
- number of client types are available for Microsoft Lync, including mobile clients.
- uses SIP as the basis for its client communication protocol
- offers support for TLS and SRTP to encrypt and secure signaling and media traffic
- allows sharing files
Please note: Not all features noted above may be available on all clients.
Additional information concerning this product can be obtained by going to the Lync web page supported by Microsoft