STEM students are students with a program of study that has one of the CIP codes listed below. These students who are currently engaged in the 12 months of regular OPT period, may apply for an additional 17 months of OPT.
The 17 month OPT application CANNOT be submitted to the USCIS Service Center later than the last day of the current OPT and no earlier than 90 days before the last day of regular OPT.
Once the STEM extension is applied for, students may continue to work while waiting for the EAD card for up to 180 days.
CIP CODES FOR STEM STUDENTS
- Actuarial Science. CIP Code 52.1304.
- Computer Science Applications: CIP Codes 11.xxxx (except Data Entry CIP Codes 11.06xx)
- Engineering. CIP Codes 14.xxxx.
- Engineering Technologies. CIP Codes 15.xxxx.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences. CIP Codes 26.xxxx.
- Mathematics and Statistics. CIP Codes 27.xxxx.
- Military Technologies. CIP Codes 29.xxxx.
- Physical Sciences. CIP Codes 40.xxxx.
- Science Technologies. CIP Codes 41.xxxx.
- Medical Scientist (MS, PhD). CIP Code 51.1401
If you are a STEM student who wishes to apply for STEM OPT. Please send a request to Wendi Kramer at w.l.kramer@csuohioedu.
You can forward the needed documents to us via FAX or by scanning them to us. We will then produce the I-20 and mail it to you for you to apply to USCIS for an additional EAD card.