All international students must show financial (tuition and living expenses) support for one academic year. Financial documentation must be presented in order for Cleveland State University to issue an I-20(F-1) or DS 2019(J-1) form. The financial verification and I-20 or DS 2019 must be presented at the U.S. Embassy or consulate when applying for either an F-1 or J-1 Visa. Please have two original financial documents prepared:
- One for Cleveland State University and
- One to present to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate.
All documents MUST be original, dated and issued within the past year
The following documents or combinations of documents are acceptable:
- An original bank statement in your name, which indicates the amount of funds available.
- An original bank statement in your guarantor's name (sponsor or parent) that indicates the amount available accompanied by a letter of confirmation from the guarantor of his or her intention to provide support.The bank statement MUST indicate a minimum amount held in the account, on bank stationary with a telephone, FAX number and street address.
- An Affidavit of Support (I-134 form) if your sponsor is a US citizen or Permanent Resident of U.S. The form can be obtained from our office or it can be downloaded: here.
Item #11 must be completed indicating the sponsor's financial intentions.
- A letter from your guarantor's employer accompanied by a letter from the guarantor confirming his or her intention to provide support. The guarantor's salary must show his/her ability to provide the amount of the promised support.
- A letter of support from your government or other sponsoring agency that indicates the amount available and additional provisions, such as health insurance coverage. Please provide a signed copy of the award letter with billing instructions. You should also send a copy to Office of Treasury Services on campus once you arrive in order for the billing to take place.
If your documents indicate an amount in a currency other than U.S. dollars we will convert the amount according to the exchange rate on the day we receive your financial support documents.