International Admissions

International Admissions FAQ's: Prior To Applying


Can the TOEFL/GRE/GMAT be waived?
The TOEFL is a mandatory university requirement and will not be waived unless the student has graduated from a US university or any other University where English is the official language of the country.

TOEFL could be substituted with one of the following:

  • Pass the IELTS test (International English Language Testing System) with a minimum score of 6.0 (
  • Pass the iTEP (International Test of English Proficiency) with a score of 5.0.
  • Achieve a score of C (Pass) or better on the 'O' (ordinary) Level or 'A' (advanced) Level of the General Certificate of Education. Scores must be no more than 2 years old
  • Achieve a score of C (Pass) or better on the Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English (CAE)
  • Completion of English language studies (Level 112) from any of the ELS Language Centers (
  • Completion of English composition 1 and 2, at a 'C' level or better, equivalent to the CSU freshman English requirements at a regionally accredited college or university

GRE or GMAT are required. Please refer to the specific department for their requirements.

Is there an application fee for CSU?
There is a $30.00 USD application fee that can be paid by personal check, certified bank draft, or money order. If you applied online you can pay by credit card.

What are the Admissions deadlines?
October 15th is the deadline for Spring semester, April 1st is the deadline for Summer semester, and May 15th is the deadline for Fall semester. Certain departments have specific deadlines. Please refer to the Admission Deadlines webpage.

What can I do if cannot submit all of the required documents before the Admission deadline?
If you are unable to provide your application materials by these deadlines then please notify our office to update your application to a future semester or to cancel your application.


What programs are offered at CSU?
Please refer to the catalog for Undergraduate and Graduate program options.

Can I apply for financial aid?
An international student is not eligible for U.S. Government assisted financial aid. Graduate students are eligible to apply for graduate assistantship or tuition waivers. Please indicate your interest in an assistantship when submitting your application. You may include a copy of your resume.

What is the university code for ETS?
The university code is 1221.

What is the minimum test score?
TOEFL: 525 or higher (paper based) or a 65 (internet based).
GRE & GMAT scores vary depending on department. Please refer to the specific department for requirements.

Does CSU offer an ESL program?
Yes. The Intensive English Language Program(IELP) at Cleveland State University is designed to help students from around the world meet their educational, professional and personal goals. Small classes and creative methodology promise personalized attention. Audio, video and computer-assisted language instruction help keep the classroom experience interesting.

Please visit for further information..


Do I need letters of recommendation?
All programs EXCEPT the Business College, require 2 letters of recommendation (DBA requires 2 letters).

Can I apply as a Non-Degree student?
Students on an F-1 visa may NOT apply for non-degree courses. They must maintain their F-1 status by enrolling into degree seeking programs.

How do I get an assistantship?
You may submit your resume at the time of application. Graduate Assistantships and Tuition Waivers are awarded after admission has been secured to a limited number of students, depending on the departments resources. You can apply for an assistantship by submitting your resume directly to a department with an available assistantship position.