Cleveland State University takes affirmative action to employ and advance in employment disabled veterans, veterans of the Vietnam era, newly separated veterans and other protected veterans. Reasonable accommodations are provided for disabled veterans.
Who is Protected?
"Disabled Veteran" means a veteran who is entitled to compensation (or who but for the receipt of military retired pay would be entitled to compensation) under laws administered by the Department of Veteran Affairs for a disability rated at 30 percent or more, or at 10 or 20 percent if determined by law to have a serious employment handicap, or a person who was discharged or released from active duty for a service-connected disability.
"Veteran of the Vietnam-era" means a person who:
- served on active duty for a period of more than 180 days, and was discharged or released therefrom with other than a dishonorable discharge, if any part of such active duty occurred:
- in the republic of Vietnam between February 28, 1961 and May 7, 1975; or
- between August 5, 1964 and May 7, 1975, in all other cases or
- was discharged or released from active duty for a service-connected disability if any part of such active duty was performed:
- in the Republic of Vietnam between February 28, 1961 and May 7, 1975: or
- between August 5, 1964 and May 7, 1975 in all other cases.
"Other protected Veterans" means veterans who served in active duty during a war or in a campaign or expedition for which a campaign badge has been authorized, other than disabled veterans or veterans of the Vietnam Era. Click here for more information for protected veterans.
"Newly Separated Veteran" means any veteran who served in active duty in the U.S. military, ground, naval or air service during the one-year period beginning on the date of such veteran's discharge or release from active duty.
Veterans who wish to self-identify may do so by by printing and completing the Invitation to Self Identify Form and returning the form to the Office for Institutional Equity. Click here to download the form. Forms are also available in the Office for Institutional Equity.
Classified Civil Service Positions
Applicants for Classified Civil Service positions at the University who qualify as veterans under Ohio Revised Code section 124.23(B) are entitled to receive additional points in Classified Civil Service examinations under the conditions set forth in the statute. Click here to contact the Department of Human Resources Development and Labor Relationsfor for more information.
Services and activities for veteran students are provided by the Veteran Student Success Program and Viking Vets, a student organization.