Any member of the university community who believes he/she has been discriminated against on the basis of his/her race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, disability, disabled veteran, Vietnam era veteran or other protected veteran status may seek informal or formal resolution through the Office for Institutional Equity.
The Director of the Office for Institutional Equity, Yulanda McCarty-Harris, J.D., has the primary responsibility for the resolution of discrimination complaints by faculty, staff and students.
When complaints are not resolved informally, the individual alleging discrimination may file a formal written complaint with the Office for Institutional Equity.
The Office for Institutional Equity will then conduct a thorough investigation and discuss its findings, conclusions and proposed action with the complainant. If necessary, the Office for Institutional Equity may take appropriate remedial action at this point. If the complainant is not satisfied with the resolution by the Office for Institutional Equity, he or she may seek relief through several internal formal grievance procedures, as follows:
- Faculty may seek relief through the Equal Opportunity Grievance Procedures, adopted by the Faculty Senate and the Board of Trustees in 1979. See Section 8.1.16 of the Faculty Personnel Policies and Bylaws. Bargaining-unit faculty may seek relief under Article 4 of the collective bargaining agreement between the University and the American Association of University Professors, CSU Chapter.
- Professional staff members may appeal directly to the President, as provided in Section 8.5.9. of the Professional Staff Policies.
- Bargaining-unit professional employees may seek relief under Article III, Section 6
of the collective bargaining agreement between CSU and Service Employees International Union, District 1199 WV/KY/OH, AFL-CIO.
- Classified civil service employees may use the employee grievance procedure set forth in Section 6.2 of CSU and You.
- If the complainant is a student, the case is submitted by the Office for Institutional Equity to the Student Grievance Board.