The Office of General Counsel provides a variety of legal services to the University, including but not limited to:
- Drafting, reviewing, negotiating, and enforcing contracts, internal policies and procedures, licenses, and permits. All new contracts and policies/regulations must receive review of the General Counsel Office before execution/implementation.
- Advising University departments during audits, investigations, and other compliance reviews.
- Advising and assisting with property and construction matters; labor relations and personnel; academic, student and student organization issues, as well as student
privacy issues under FERPA; insurance and risk management; immigration, tax, business, finance and purchasing matters; and patent, trademark and copyright issues;
- Overseeing and enforcing the University’s records retention policy.
- Maintaining the University’s on-line E-Policy index.
- Managing all litigation and administrative proceedings.
- Responding to public records requests, subpoenas, and requests for student records.