The Doctor of Engineering degree is granted in recognition of high achievement in scholarship and an ability to apply engineering fundamentals to the solution of complex technical problems. The program of study is broad for a doctoral level degree, requiring research and engineering analysis at a high level. The program is administered by the college of engineering therefore, departmental boundaries are nonexistent and the student ,with his/her adviser, is free to choose a program of study that pulls together the necessary interdisciplinary subjects to address the research topic as needed.
A short summary of requirements for the DRE includes:
- 30 hours of coursework beyond the masters degree
- 30 hours of dissertation research
- Successful completion of the qualifying examination
- Successful completion of the candidacy examination
- Successful defense of the dissertation