B.S., M.S., & Ph.D., Chemical Engineering
Michigan State University
Reaction engineering, catalysis, polymer engineering, physical properties, process design.
Lubrizol, Manufacturing Division (1991-2006)
Engelhard, Catalyst R&D (1980-1991)
- Chemical & Catalytic Reaction Engineering
- Catalyst Characterization and Evaluation
- Polymer Engineering
- Physical Properties
- Process Design and Evaluation
- Process Engineering
- “Entity-Based Eyring-NRTL Viscosity Model for Mixtures Containing Oils and Bitumens”, INDUSTRIAL & ENGINEERING CHEMISTRY RESEARCH, 45, 7329(2006).
- “Viscosity Model for Mixtures Containing Polymers”, Presented at AspenWorld2004, with C-C Chen and Y. Song, Oct. 10-15, 2004. Orlando, Florida.
- “Eyring-NRTL Mixture Viscosity Model”, Commercialized in Aspen Tech Software, Release 13.1, October 2004.
- “A Segment-Based Eyring-NRTL Viscosity Model for Mixtures Containing Polymers”, with C-C Chen and Y. Song, IND & ENG CHEM RESEARCH, 43, 6231(2004).
- “Relationship between Intrinsic Viscosity and Eyring-NRTL Viscosity Model Parameters”, IND & ENG CHEM RESEARCH, 43, 2602(2004).
- “Modeling the Viscosity of Liquid Mixtures: Polymer-Solvent Systems”, IND & ENG CHEM RESEARCH, 42,1824(2003).
- “Catalytic Process for Making High Reactivity Alkylating Agents and Products Resulting Therefrom”, with J. Burrington and others, US PATENT 5,986,155, Nov. 16, 1999.
- “PIB Reactor System Modeling in SPEEDUP”, with G. McCullough, Presented at ASPENWORLD97, October 12-16, 1997, Boston, Mass.
- "Copper-Chromite Catalyst and Process for Preparing Said Catalyst", with E. Nebesh and D.G. Kelly, US PATENT 5,124,295, Jun. 23, 1992.
- "Copper-Chromite Catalyst Activity Correlation for the Hydrogenation of 2-Ethyl-3-propylacrolein", with E. Nebesh, IND & ENG CHEM RESEARCH, 30,2514(1991).
- "Laboratory Evaluation of Clays in the Treatment of BTX Feed stocks", with K.F. Petraitis, IND & ENG CHEM RESEARCH, 28,1567(1989).
- "Laboratory Evaluation of Clays in the Treatment of BTX Feed stocks", Presented at the 25th Annual Clay Minerals Society Meeting, Grand Rapids, Mi (Sept 1988).
- "Computer Automated Catalyst Test Unit", with O. Nebesh, Presented at the 79th Annual AIChEMeeting, Miami, Fla (Nov 1986).
- "Trickling Flow Pressure Drop in Packed Beds of Formed Catalysts", with D.D. Mateer, IND ENG PROC DES & DEV, 25,1034(1986).
- "Principal investigator for two National Science Foundation grants that were awarded to support research in the areas of microbial kinetics and fixed bed mass transfer (1970-1980)".
- "Kinetics of the Reaction between Orthophosphate Ions and Muskegon Dune Sand", J ENVIRONMENTAL QUAL,8,312(1979).
- "Role of Agitation Conditions in Nitrification", BIOTECH & BIOENG, XXI,1457(1979).
- "Role of Agitation Conditions in Microbial Reactions - Nitrification", Presented at the 70th Annual AIChE Meeting, New York, New York (Nov 1977).
- "A Method for the Study of Interphase Mass Transfer at Very Low Reynolds Numbers in Packed Beds", AIChE JOURNAL, 23,398(1977).
- "Transport and Reactions of Ions in Soils", WATER-1976, AIChE SYMPOSIUM SERIES, 344(1977).
- "Transport and Reactions of Ions in Soils", Presented at the 69th Annual AIChE Meeting, Chicago, Ill (Nov 1976).
- "A Model for Soil-Orthophosphate Reactions and Extensions to the Modeling of Americium Transport in Soils", Presented at the Second Mineral Cycling Symposia sponsored by the
University of Georgia and ERDA, Augusta, Georgia (April 1976).
- "Water Treatment: Chemical Engineering Methods in Action", with G. A. Coulman, D. B. Shah and P. M. Schierholz, WATER-1975, AIChE SYMPOSIUM SERIES.
- "Effect of Long Term Land Disposal by Spray Irrigation of Food Processing Wastes on Some Chemical Properties of the Soil and Sub-surface Water", with D. C. Adriano, A. E. Erickson, A. R.
Wolcott and B. G. Ellis, J ENVIRONMENTAL QUAL, 4,242(1975).
- "Phosphorus Movement in Soils: Soil Orthophosphate Reaction Kinetics", with D. C. Adriano, J ENVIRONMENTAL QUAL, 4,261(1975).
- "Phosphorus Movement in Soils: Theoretical Aspects", with D. C. Adriano, G. A. Coulman and D. B. Shah, J ENVIRONMENTAL QUAL, 4,93(1975).
- "A Mathematical Model for Phosphorus Movement in Soils", with D. B. Shah, B. G. Ellis and G. A
Coulman, J ENVIRONMENTAL QUAL, 4,87(1975).
- "Mathematical Models for the Drying of Rigid Porous Materials", with G. A. Coulman,
CAN J CHEMICAL ENGINEERING, 53,6O(1975).
- "Application of Chemical Engineering Methods to Environmental Pollution Problems", with G. A.
Coulman and D. B. Shah, WATER-1974, AIChE SYMPOSIUM SERIES, 277(1974).
- "Terrestrial Ecosystem Response to Waste water Irrigation", with G. A. Coulman and D. B. Shah,
WATER-1974, AIChE SYMPOSIUM SERIES, 289(1974).
- "Simulation of Soils Drying Under Natural Meteorological Conditions", with G. A. Coulman,
SIMULATION, 11(June 1974).
- "A Simulation of Two Phase Water Movement in Soils", with G. A. Coulman, PROC 1972
SUMMER SIMULATION CONFERENCE, Vol.2,94O, San Diego, CA.
- "Transport Phenomena in Porous Media with Emphasis on Water Movement in Soils",
PhD DISSERTATION IN CHEMICAL ENGINEERING, Michigan State University (1972).
- "Transport of Water and Other Chemical Compounds in Porous Media", ECOSYSTEM DESIGN
AND MANAGEMENT ANNUAL REPORT (NSF-GI-2O) (1971).
- Lectures and workshops are integrated into the curriculum to introduce students to a high productivity software tool (Aspen-Plus) for chemical engineering computations.
Graduate Courses Taught:
- Chemical Reaction Engineering
- Heterogeneous Reaction Engineering
- Transport Phenomena
- Mass Transfer in Porous media
- Chemical Engineering Analysis
Undergraduate Courses Taught
- Chemical Reaction Engineering
- Separation Processes
- Unit Operations Laboratory
- Material & Energy Balances
- Engineering Computations
- Engineering Computations