Chemical and Biomedical Engineering

Degree Admission Classification

A graduate student may be admitted under one of the following classes:

  • Regular Graduate Student. A Regular Graduate Student is one who both the department and the Graduate College deem fully qualified to undertake a degree program.

In order to be considered for admission as a Regular Graduate Student by the Department of Chemical Engineering. students must meet the following standards:

    • A minimun of 3.0/4.0 cumulative GPA
    • and, if the degree was conferred by a College or University outside the United States, 
    • GRE scores at the 80th percentile or above. 
    • A 550 or above TOEFL score. 
  • Provisional Graduate Student. A Provisional Graduate Student is one who has failed to submit all the necessary application materials but who meets the Department's minimum GPA requirement based on submission of an official transcript of baccalaureate work. This status allows the student to register for one quarter only, during which time all other required documents must be received. 
  • Special Graduate Student. A Special Graduate Student is one who has submitted all required documents but whose cumulative grade-point-average (GPA) is below 3.0. However, his/her GRE test scores have been 80th percentile or above, with a TOEFL score (if applicable) of 550 or above. Such applicants are admitted to enroll for specific courses. A Special Graduate Student may be reclassified as a Regular Graduate Student after completing twelve credit hours of graduate study with a GPA of at least 3.00. 
  • Non-Degree Graduate Student. Individuals who hold bachelor's degrees and want to take graduate courses for specific personal needs may be admitted as non-degree students. In cases where the student is subsequently admitted to a graduate program, a maximum of twelve credits earned as a non-degree student may be counted towards a degree. 
Only Regular Graduate Students can receive financial support. Qualified students can also apply for College and State Fellowships.