The Deckard Family Civic Fellows Scholarship supports rising junior and senior Cleveland State University students who have demonstrated a commitment to engagement opportunities provided by CSU, yet face significant financial obstacles. Selected fellows are assigned to community initiatives that address a major challenge in Northeast Ohio and support or address a recognized regional, community-based, or civic organizational need. The Deckard Family Civic Fellows Scholarship program is administered by the Office of Civic Engagement under the direction of the Director of Community Partnerships in collaboration with the Office of University Advancement, the Office of Student Affairs, and other departments around campus.
Fellows receive an award of $5,000 ($2,500 for fall semester and $2,500 for spring semester). The scholarship is renewable provided that the student remains in good academic standing and all assigned tasks are completed. Deckard Fellows devote 10 hours per week to their assigned community partner and attend up to four leadership development sessions per semester.
To qualify for the Deckard Family Civic Fellows Scholarship, students:
- Must be enrolled at Cleveland State University with a declaration of any major. Students must apply in the spring semester prior to their junior or senior year.
- Must be in good academic standing with a minimum GPA of 2.5.
- Must have demonstrated meaningful leadership participation in civic or community engagement activities.
- Must submit a 1,500 word essay explaining their interest in the scholarship and detailing their civic engagement activities.
- Must have a demonstrated financial need.
HOW TO APPLY
Applications for the Deckard Family Civic Fellows Scholarship must be submitted by April 30. The application can be found here interested students should submit a completed application, an essay detailing their interest in the scholarship opportunity, a letter of recommendation from a non-family member, and a faculty sponsor form. Though not required, a student may provide additional evidence of their civic engagement activity, including video presentations, photos, news publications, PowerPoint presentations, etc., by submitting a flash drive along with their application materials.