During the holiday season, the increased use of decorations and electrical lighting greatly increases the risk for fire emergencies to occur.
- Holiday decoration use should be limited to those artificial trees, wreaths, garland, etc. that are labeled as fire retardant and Underwriter Laboratories (UL) listed.
- Live trees are prohibited.
- Do not place decorations in manner where they obstruct the view of emergency exit signage or fire safety system equipment (fire extinguishers, pull stations, etc.) or obstruct aisles, corridors, stairways or other means of egress.
- Extension cords use for temporary holiday lighting shall be a minimum of sixteen (16) gauge rated and plugged directly into a wall outlet.
- The use of candles (except for religious use) or any type of open flames is prohibited.
For Additional Holiday Fire Safety Information:
A Season for Sharing in Fire Safety – A Fact Sheet on Holiday Fire Prevention
Happy Holidays - Keep your Holidays Safety – Follow These Basic Tips