Access the database:http://jr.chemwatch.net/chemwatch.web/account/autologinbyip/
Chemwatch is a relatively users friendly database. It was acquired for campus use as a laboratory/chemical safety tool in providing access to information for thousands of Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) for chemicals. All you need to get in is a University issued IP address to access the Chemwatch database. General function keys (back, print, search, etc…) can be accessed using the blue keys/toolbar at the top left corner. As you pass your cursor over them their functions are identified. The blue key with the small letter (a) is the language key that allows you to choose viewing the information from approximately twenty (20) different languages.
Chemwatch Database Access:
- Access the database here . After a few seconds, a screen will appear and a trailer will pass across the screen, indicating that the default mode has changed and that you are in the simple mode – move your cursor over to the box on the left side of the screen that has the heading: Mode. Click on the top button with the graduation hat – you are now in the advanced mode and the trailer disappears.
- Type the Name or CAS number of any chemical in the space under the heading Chemgold II and click on Search – after a few seconds a window with the heading Chemwatch List will appear containing all chemical names that include the one you typed in.
- Chose the particular chemical and a summary of information from the MSDS will appear. To view the entire MSDS, move your cursor to the left side of the screen and click on the MSDS button to bring up an MSDS. If you are looking for an MSDS from a specific manufacturer, click on the SUPPLIER MSDS
- Once you have performed a search a chosen a particular chemical, a set of keys appear on the left of the screen – their identity and function are as follows:
- Mini MSDS – Contains select information from an MSDS such as Properties, Health Hazards, Precautions for use, etc…compressed onto one page.
- MSDS – Contains the full MSDS for the chosen chemical. Chemwatch defaults to the first MSDS from the manufacturers listed alphabetically
- Summary – Contains select information from an MSDS including Personal Protective Equipment, Risk statements, safety statements, etc… This is the screen that first appears following a requested search for a particular chemical
- MSDS++ - Not active
- Supplier MSDS – Chemwatch will provide a list of all manufacturer’s that have an MSDS for the chosen chemical as part of the Chemwatch database
- Sections – choosing this will activate a menu on the right side of your screen that contains the heading of every section of an MSDS and you can select a particular section heading, (Identification, Supplier, Use, physical properties, etc…)
- Notes – allows the user to enter any information they desire regarding the particular chemical they have searched for, perhaps relative to a particular experiment they are working on.
- Labels – provides a template of labels for you to choose and print out from that can be included in reports or even affixed to chemical bottles
- Molecule – this feature allows you to view molecular structures – However, a particular software package (Cosmo Player) is required and can be downloaded at no cost
- Monographs – this provides a list of articles that contain information relative to the chosen chemical from such organizations as the Environmental Protection Agency, the National Institute of Safety and Health, Centers for Disease Control, etc…
- Environment – provides information relating to the impact of the chosen chemical on the environment